Getting in Shape

Thick thighs holding me back!

So, I bought my dress over a year ago, and just went for my final fitting. Wedding is August 4.  I love my dress, think it's gorgeous.  So to the problem...It fits too tight still.  I had always wanted a mermaid/trumpet gown, and that's what I got, but at this last fitting, even with her letting the dress out about an inch around my thighs, it's still pretty tight.  I can walk in it, but I'm scared when it's time for the reception I won't be able to really dance at all, which I love to do.  So my question...What should I do?? Does anyone know any workout routines that I can start emplimenting now to get some weight off and slim my thighs in 6 weeks??

Re: Thick thighs holding me back!

• Try some squats, lunges, and jogging/running. Just 30 min a day is really helpful.

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness (they have some good workouts there)

Also look into body wraps. They can target specific areas and help you lose inches.
  • Lobsters25Lobsters25 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited June 2012
    While there is no such thing as spot reducing, there are things you can do to help - lunges, squats, running, spinning, will all target those areas.  Also, leg lifts and the abductor/adductor (higher reps, lower weight) will certainly help tone your thighs.

Another thought - how's your diet?  If your body is engineered so that a lot of your fat gets stored in your thighs, a healthy diet change will also help move things along.

PS-gorgeous dress!
    Anniversary
  • Remember that your dress will stretch throughout the day as well.  Being a little snug is better than being too loose.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Do you currently do any cardio? I saw a big reduction in my thighs when I started doing spin class and elliptical/running. Like Lobsters said incorporate that with some leg work outs like squats and lunges as well as all over body. 6 weeks isn't a large amount of time but if you really dedicate yourself you can see some improvement.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I have bigger thighs and have found that a lot of leg workouts don't help me, mainly just cardio and dieting is best.  My legs are prone to be muscular so, for me, the lunges and squats really just add to the size of my legs.  My suggestions would be cardio and diet :)
  • running.  I noticed my thicker thighs leaned out some once I started running.  I saw a difference in about a month.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker weddingpreview
  • Careful with squats and lunges....they could bulk up your legs. While there is to such thing as spot reducing, cardio is always a good idea. Spin classes burn tons of calories. Another thing whcih is VERY short term is some spas have ciertain techniques called 'wrapping'. It basically reduces water weight in specific areas. Keep in mind this is VERY short term, after a couple days you go right back. I have not tried it myself but they had it where I worked and some people swore by them.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Cardio and a fat-loss diet are the only healthy ways to make yourself smaller. Cut out as much starch and processed foods as possible if you havent already, drink plenty of water and be sure to add fiber full and nutriet rich fruits and veggies.
    I agree- that dress is stunning!
    May 2013 Brides February Siggy photo invitessiggy_zpscfc27989.jpg Daisypath Wedding tickers LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • I to have thick thighs, always have since I was young and it got worse after my 2 pregnancies. Cardio is great as the other ladies have suggested. This is what I have been doing for 5 almost 6 months: Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred ($10 dvd at Walmart) this is good for the whole body, once or twice (if I can fit it in my schedule) a week I do Jillian Michaels Killer Buns and Thighs. No matter what, twice a day I do this workout my cousin suggested to me on YouTube, "The Worlds Fastest Workout Video" it's only 5 minutes and wow! It looks easy but it's not, trust me, try it at least once. I'm also a Polynesian dancer and dance everyday with my 2 little ones and that's also a great workout. Anyways I had my son 2 years ago and my daughter a year ago next month, I gained a lot of weight especially in my thighs. My pant size was a 16-17 and sometimes bigger, now I am a size 10! I also suggest that you only drink water and put no salt, request no salt on your foods. (A little sea salt is ok) This really helped thin out my thighs on top of the workouts. Good Luck!
    He stole my heart... So I'm stealing his last name.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_thick-thighs-holding-me-back?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:eff08295-ba2f-4f5c-a515-8ec3dfaa623fPost:dc2d31df-c495-48ff-b0f4-156ecbbe3b3b">Re: Thick thighs holding me back!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Careful with squats and lunges....they could bulk up your legs. While there is to such thing as spot reducing, cardio is always a good idea. Spin classes burn tons of calories. Another thing whcih is VERY short term is some spas have ciertain techniques called 'wrapping'. It basically reduces water weight in specific areas. Keep in mind this is VERY short term, after a couple days you go right back. I have not tried it myself but they had it where I worked and some people swore by them.
    Posted by hwoychowski[/QUOTE]

<div>I am going to have to respectfully disagree with this post.  Squats and lunges have never "bulked up" my legs, and have actually helped lean them out because they help build up muscle that burns more fat.</div><div>I will concede the point that due to water weight, and added lean muscle your thighs may appear to bulk up briefly when you START doing those exercises for a few weeks.  In this case, because the OP only has a finite amount of time to lose weight and everyone is different I'm not going to harp on the weight lifting train as much....  But once you're doing them regularly they will help keep your legs lean and thighs nice and tight :)</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards