Getting in Shape

Ab Exercises After Umbilical Hernia Repair?

I had an umbilical hernia repair surgery about 5 months ago. I got the condition during my last pregnancy and it was repaired about 2 months after I gave birth. (It was a laproscopic procedure that inserted a large mesh panel into my stomach.) I'm in the clear to exercise now, but I'm wondering if anyone else has had this procedure and if it affected your ability to tone up your midsection?

Sometimes if I sit in a certain position long enough or strain to stretch a certain way during everyday activities, I'll feel a little painful twinge where there wasn't one before. I wasn't expecting to be 100% normal after the repair, but I really need to tone up my midsection and there aren't really any "low-impact" (if you will) ab exercises.

Any advice or toning suggestions would be appreciated!

Re: Ab Exercises After Umbilical Hernia Repair?

• You really need to talk to your doctor or a physical therapist.  The would know much better because that is a delicate situation.  I am a ED RN and I have seen people in the ER who have really messed themselves up that way.  If you open i again to the same extent or to a more severe extent, bowel can come out through the hernia and loss its oxygen supply.  not fun
  • I don't feel comfortable suggesting anything.  That kind of surgery makes me think that sitting down with your doctor and discussing what you are capable of doing is best.
  • I agree with PP.  Definitely check with your doctor and possible a physical therapy (try to get a recommendation for a good PT from your doctor).  None of us are really qualified to give you any recommendations on this, and no one here would want to unknowingly recommend anything that could potentially be harmful to you.  GL!
    Anniversary Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Thanks for the responses! My doc said that I could do exercises, just nothing too strenuous on the abs. So now I'm at a loss for what I can do to tone the muscles without putting excess strain on them. The exercises I've found online for post surgery are incredibly gentle and I can't imagine that they would help muscle tone.
  • A physio therapist is your best bet if your doctor remained a little vague.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_ab-exercises-after-umbilical-hernia-repair?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:f5c36dbb-846b-4431-8c0c-610c351919a1Post:a5a75920-4747-4d8a-9ec2-69951234bf14">Re: Ab Exercises After Umbilical Hernia Repair?</a>:
    [QUOTE]A physio therapist is your best bet if your doctor remained a little vague.
    Posted by Sydney91[/QUOTE]

<div>This.</div><div>
    </div><div>Talk to your doc and see if he can refer you to one that he's worked with in the past.  They might be able to give you a little more than what you are seeing online.  Also, they would be better able to monitor where you are at and introduce more.</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards