Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth

Friday wedding vs. Sunday wedding

So we have found our venue (finally) and know the general date of our wedding. Either January 4th or 6th 2013. The only thing we are stuck on is whether to have the wedding on that Friday or that Sunday. Basically we are not doing Saturday just because the rental rates are higher.  Any comments/opinions would be appreciated!

Re: Friday wedding vs. Sunday wedding

• If you do it on a Sunday what ime would the ceremony be?
  • Probably around 4 or 5, and that way the reception would be over around 10 since most people have work in the morning.
  • As a guest, I think my preference would be Sunday as long as it ended by 10 because Friday means taking off work early and traffic is always worse.  But I'd be fine with either.

• I think pretty much either will work. On Friday some people won't be able to make it because they can't get there from work. I would check with your VIPs and see if they have a preference/conflict with either Fridays or Sundays.
  • I had my wedding on a Friday and we were able to start it late enough that everyone was able to make it without much trouble.  It can mean an extra day off work for those that are traveling from out of town, but that didnt stop the people who were really important from being there.

My general thought is that Fridays are a little more of a party vibe like a Saturday would be and Sundays are a little more laid back. 

I personally prefer as a guest a Friday wedding, having attended both before, I was not a fan of going to work the next day after a later night on Sunday (yes 10pm is late for me).

• 10 PM is too late for us too, so we would probably not be sticking around very long at a Sunday afternoon/evening wedding.  Now, if it started at 2 PM, we'd probably stay until it was all over.  

We barely made it on time to a friend's Friday evening wedding last October, but it was kind of far from where we both worked.  We're going to another one this October that is very close to where we both work.  
  • Ditto to what crash and bobbileigh said. My wedding is on a Friday at 7pm no one has mentioned being concerned about work.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_friday-wedding-vs-sunday-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:3e57e6c6-f49d-4880-aa1a-a8c7f286e715Post:c0494b0a-8cb8-4b61-9a29-343aaafbc76d">Re: Friday wedding vs. Sunday wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ditto to what crash and bobbileigh said. <strong>My wedding is on a Friday at 7pm no one has mentioned being concerned about work.</strong>
    Posted by AshJohnson30[/QUOTE]
    I've only had one experience with a Friday wedding (I was a BM) I think it started at 6 or 6:30 and there were tons of no-shows because of work (or so they said).<div>
    </div><div>I would rather go to a Sunday wedding (though I probably wouldn't stay the whole time) than a Friday wedding.</div>
  • I also prefer a Friday wedding. I've been to a couple Sunday weddings and left early because of work on Monday morning. We are having a Friday evening wedding starting at 7:00 pm
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • As you can see they both have their drawbacks and you cant please everyone.  I would do what Crash said and contact your must haves or VIPs for the wedding and see what their preference is, that way you are sure those that mean the most to you are there.
  • It seems like the consensus is Friday wedding means possible no shows, Sunday wedding means people possibly leaving early! I'm still not sure which is better for us. I wonder if flights/ travel would be cheaper on a Monday morning though....
  • I'm having my wedding on sunday, got a lot of extra perks for having it on a Sunday too.  Wedding starting at 3:00 and have some out of town guest that aren't leaving till Monday.  But are family loves family gatherings so the party will probably going until 10 pm or later.
  • Well, I'm biased as we had our wedding this past Friday evening.  I would definitely prefer a Friday over a Sunday.Our ceremony started at 6:30 PM, and the only people that no-showed were as a result of illness and unexpected events, not traffic or an inability to get off work.  We also sent out STDs a year in advance so people could mark it on their calendars.

Definitely check with your VIPs as pp recommended and see what they prefer, then go from there.
    Anniversary Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I definitely would prefer Friday. I can still cut loose and celebrate. I went to a Sunday wedding once and was really really bummed that I had to leave early.... but that was really the only choice we had.
  • We also did save the dates like the pp mentioned and I think that would really help with either day you choose.  If it was a close friends wedding on a Sunday and I knew I wouldnt want to leave early and had enough notice I would request the following Monday off.

• Although I still vote Sunday (we actually considered a Sunday brunch wedding ourselves), I agree that if it's a loved one or someone I am close to, I am certainly going to be there no matter what.  I was just speaking as a casual guest or acquaintance.  I agree to poll your important family members and see what they think. 
  • Thanks for the great input!
  • Jen6862Jen6862 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    Are you  having lots of OOT guests? If not, I'd go with a Friday night. I agree with the others... it's more of a "fun" night. And I'd rather take a full- or half-day off on a Friday than a whole day on Monday to recuperate--which is why most people will leave early on a Sunday.
  • My Fiancee and I are getting married on Friday, November 23, 2012 (day after Thanksgiving)--one of the main considerations was the fact that we'd be competing with church service if we got married on Sunday.  Plus, we want to take advantage of each and every vacation day to enjoy our honeymoon....Sunday weddings meant less honeymoon  days for us.  Good luck!!!

Best,
    Another Bride-to-Be! 
    Unfailing Love from Another Bride-to-Be Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards