Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Feedback on Vows

I wrote one set of vows, then totally ditched them and came up with something different. FI and I are very non traditional, and we wanted to go into our vows with the mindset that this is probably the only time we can get up in front of loved ones and say how we really feel about each other. I don't mind that they are long because the cermony itself will be pretty short. My only concern with them is that they might come off as too speech like. Any feedback is appreciated!

Joel, I’ll never forget the day we first met, looking back on it now we were both so clueless and unaware of what our future would hold. I don’t know what to believe: was it fate, chance or a divine accident that caused our paths to cross? It may always be a mystery, but I do know that I feel blessed and forever grateful to have you in my life, and to be standing here today to join our lives together forever.

I know I’ve been in love before, but I’ve never been in love like this. I love you when it’s easy and when it’s hard. When you’re being difficult, and when I’m being difficult.

I love that you have full blown conversations with our dog like she’s a person. I love that you’ll not only sit and watch the Golden Girls with me, but that you also genuinely laugh. I love that you always kiss me before you leave for work, even if I’m still asleep. I love that you’re up for anything I throw at you, no matter how crazy it is.

But more importantly, I love your passion, creativity and talent. Your constant kindness in a world that can be so hard. I love your sense of adventure. Your willingness to put others before yourself. I love that you look at the same world I do, yet show me things I don’t see. Because of you I see life in a different light, it seems like the sun shines more brightly and the sky is that more blue.

You are funny and goofy and wonderful and amazing and you make every day a story worth telling. Because of that, I Jenn, take you Joel as my husband, my partner in crime and my best friend. I promise to trust and respect you, listen with compassion and understanding, and encourage and support all of your goals and dreams. I want to share everything life has to offer with you, the good times and the bad. I promise to stand next to you when life seems easy and when it seems hard, when our love is simple and when it is an effort.

I look forward to growing and evolving with you, seeing the man and father you will become, and falling in love with you more each day than I did the last. I give you my heart and my soul, from this day forward and as long as we both shall live.
imageAnniversary

Re: Feedback on Vows

• Options
    skomaraskomara member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    beautiful!!  I am just starting to write mine and you give me inspiration!
  • Options
    KelamarieKelamarie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it reads well and is meaningful, which is the most important! You might want to read them out loud to yourself in the mirror a few times to see if it is to long. You could take out paragraph 2 and shorten 3 but if you feel comfortable and happy with them the way they are than go for it. You might want to give your fiance a heads up that yours are lengthy so he can better prepare his. It might not sound good if his is only 3 sentences and yours are long.
  • Options
    ambergionetambergionet member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    beautiful! you had me in tears, i am starting to get ready to write mine so i'm a bit emotional... i thought the words were great! i would keep it that length and if you feel they may be too long you can always say the majority of them and give your husband the written longer version. but either way they are so special and reading them makes me feel the love between the 2 of you. i do agree with Kelamarie in that you should give your fi a heads up on the length.
    good luck with everything! :)
    -Amber
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    They are beautiful...but that's quite a lot to say.  It doesn't seem like it now, on your couch, but it will be a long time when you are standing up there!
    My baby girl is a married woman...and now my baby girl HAS a baby girl. Time unfolds in such an amazing way. I've been blessed!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you for the feedback! I really appreciate it. I was a little worried they are long, and I let FI know as much as possible about length and topic without giving it all away. I'm going to start reading them out loud at home when he isn't around and see what I could tweak. Thanks again!
    imageAnniversary
  • Options
    maisery22maisery22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    haha nice, my fi does the same with our cat!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Absolutely beautiful!  I would love to write our own vows, but my FI is very wary of it.  I'm trying to convince him, but we may end up going with traditional.  You have inspired me though to continue trying :-)
  • Options
    afloggieafloggie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Love it!!
  • Options
    oshbride0711oshbride0711 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it's really sweet and endearing. I agree that it may be a bit long. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Loved them! They were very sweet.
  • Options
    meldivameldiva member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I LOVED them..beautifully written and so meaningful!
  • Options
    jemmini6jemmini6 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_vows_feedback-vows?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:24Discussion:973873e9-6646-4699-8484-90a3c0ae68f7Post:39b2b336-a920-4cbd-80de-16642530595b">Feedback on Vows</a>:
    [QUOTE] I love that you look at the same world I do, yet show me things I don’t see. Because of you I see life in a different light, it seems like the sun shines more brightly and the sky is that more blue.
    Posted by JennandJoel2010[/QUOTE]

My absolute favorite line in your vows!!
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards