Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

First Draft. opinions?

"Matthew,

After our first date, I was driving home thinking to myself, I don’t only see myself falling in love with this man, but I see myself falling into a life with him, and that is a feeling I never knew existed. The comfort, love and over all happiness that I have found in the last four years is remarkable, and I promise to spend the rest of our lives showing you just how grateful I am. I know that life –not merely love- is what I wanted and envisioned with you, and I’m blessed to say I am in love, and in life with you. You are my forever, my keeper and I stand here before our friends and family and make you these promises, from the bottom of my heart.

I promise promise to always remember God is first in our relationship. He brought us together and he is guiding us.

I promise promise to remind you just how special you are, to always make you feel respected and above all, loved. I will be your best friend, strive to be all you need, and help you remember that we are the good fifty percent of the Fire Department.

I promise promise to help you find your inner child, with random pillow fights and kid books.  To always be your plus one, to keep your secrets and cushion your disappointments. I promise promise to never give up, to never let go, to never put divorce on the table.

I am yours and you are mine and if the road gets rocky, steady as we go. "

So thats my first rough draft, I was trying not to make it too long I just feel like I have so much to say! I always say "promise promise" and the very last part "if the road gets rocky, steady as we go" are lyrics that we both wanted to incorporate somehow. I'm open for suggestions, thanks!

Re: First Draft. opinions?

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_vows_first-draft-opinions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:24Discussion:f1bc38c1-4d21-4529-9716-b4fee9de9053Post:a8bc9a99-6d6f-46a3-bb91-f7bffbf0f0f7">First Draft. opinions?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I promise promise to never give up, to never let go, to never put divorce on the table. [/QUOTE]

I really like your vows, they seem really personal to the two of you and thanks for the explanations you provided on a couple of parts ("promise promise"). IMO, though, I would be shocked to hear the word "divorce" in wedding vows and I think saying I promise that divorce isn't an option at a wedding is terribly obvious (although given the divorce rate, that clearly isn't the case but still...it's just jarring, to me, at least). Maybe there are ways to put it without the Big D? "to never give up" is great on its own! Good luck!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_vows_first-draft-opinions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:24Discussion:f1bc38c1-4d21-4529-9716-b4fee9de9053Post:745868ce-7e59-49ba-be8b-9046ea8d6ddc">Re: First Draft. opinions?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to First Draft. opinions? : I really like your vows, they seem really personal to the two of you and thanks for the explanations you provided on a couple of parts ("promise promise"). IMO, though, I would be shocked to hear the word "divorce" in wedding vows and I think saying I promise that divorce isn't an option at a wedding is terribly obvious (although given the divorce rate, that clearly isn't the case but still...it's just jarring, to me, at least). Maybe there are ways to put it without the Big D? "to never give up" is great on its own! Good luck!
    Posted by valawbride12[/QUOTE]

thanks for your input!  The "divorce is not on the table" is something from our pastor and marriage conseling that has become a big saying in our life. It basically means that divorce isnt an option and if we remember to look at it in that light, then we will never consider it.  Make sense? I get what you are saying tho, and I appreciate it. I'll see if I can come up with something :)
  • Agreed the divorce part is a little weird, but if it's something that's already been discussed between you two then leave it.

The first part reads more like a sort of speech or story vs your vows directly -- your promises to him. So for that reason, I would probably go with:

"Matthew, I’m blessed to say I am in love, and in life with you. You are my forever, my keeper and I stand here before our friends and family and make you these promises, from the bottom of my heart.

I promise promise to always remember God is first in our relationship. He brought us together and he is guiding us.

I promise promise to remind you just how special you are, to always make you feel respected and above all, loved. I will be your best friend, strive to be all you need, and help you remember that we are the good fifty percent of the Fire Department.

I promise promise to help you find your inner child, with random pillow fights and kid books.  To always be your plus one, to keep your secrets and cushion your disappointments. I promise promise to never give up, to never let go, to never put divorce on the table.

I am yours and you are mine and if the road gets rocky, steady as we go. "

I like that you have the personal touches of the "promise promise," the Fire Dept reference and the lyrics as well :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    So ready to bring our families together and PARTY on April 13th, 2013!
    image 225 Invited
    image 53 Are ready to party!
    image 18 Will be missing out!
    image 154 Are MIA!
    Reply requested by March 23.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards