Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth
Options

Petticoat issues....

I'm completely lost when it comes to a petticoat. The lady who runs Sunday's Bridal where I bought my dress said I need a petticoat that does not tie and spanx. Where do I start and how am I going to know the fullness of the petticoat? Here is a pic of my dress.

Insted of hemming it (I'm just barely 5 feet) she is going to add pick ups to it. Do I just get the fullness based on my preference? Also with the Spanx. . . I need it for my hips. . .should I get a full body one that goes to about my knees? I'm such a tom boy, but I want to look gorgeous for my fiance when he sees me walk down the aisle. Any suggestion is always helpful from you ladies! <3
BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Petticoat issues....

• Options
    fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am no help.  I just wanted to say your dress is pretty.  :)

Does the bridal shop where you bought it not have any?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Agnes Sunday who owns it didn't have any at the time and to limit the stress on myself I'm really thinking about asking her to purchase one for me, I've gotta go back there anyway to have her put the pick ups in.

And thank you. . .I've been dying to show people that dress!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah if you have to go back anyway, I would just have her handle it for you.  At the very least, hopefully she will have some for you to try on or can help you purchase one.  Be sure to take pictures at your fitting!

I was clueless also--I didn't even know if I needed one with my dress!
  • Options
    MLandCJMLandCJ member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I honestly don't think that you would need one. The dress looks pretty full IMO.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Gorgeous!  I agree with Courtney -- unless you are going for like, full-on Southern Belle, that dress is full enough!

But you might be able to get a decently inexpensive petticoat at David's Bridal?
    Anniversary

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Yep, I bought one that zipped up from David's Bridal for $50. Make sure it's the one you want though, because they don't allow returns! My alterations lady told me what kind to get.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I just bought one too from Alfred Angelo about a week ago for about $50. I definitely liked the flare it added to my dress. If she cant order one maybe you bring it to other salons to try on with theirs? I know that could be a pain, just a thought though.

I've been debating the whole Spanx thing myself!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    rcpm44rcpm44 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Something that I'm surprised that no one has mentioned is that when you wear a petticoat underneath your dress it adds volume to the dress and takes away length. Which means that you may not need to add a hem if you wear a petticoat.

If you really want the petticoat wear that, but wait to put the pick-ups in until after you have it because you may end up not needing them.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm very short, and I don't think I'll be getting that full of a petticoat, just something to pull it a way a little bit. Guess I need to get back out there and really look for one, at least I know I don't want a HUGE one ;-)
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_petticoat-issues?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:4012d32a-2249-46f2-a207-bb6d2f17df5cPost:fe8c4522-8e4b-4d53-94b3-22aa76e63847">Re: Petticoat issues....</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm very short, and I don't think I'll be getting that full of a petticoat, just something to pull it a way a little bit. Guess I need to get back out there and really look for one, at least I know I don't want a HUGE one ;-)
    Posted by kelijoo[/QUOTE]

You definitely want to try it on with the dress before you have it altered.  As rcpm said, the petticoat itself will shorten the length.
    Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards