September 2013 Weddings

A little worried...And new here!

Hello! Newly engaged me is newly stressed me, lol. I am new to this site, never really posted on anything like this before!

So, reading through the introductions and some of the recent posts, I am feeling we are getting a late start on things. But, my biggest worry is our budget. Neither one of my parents are putting any money into this, they cannot afford to, so, it is up to us. We have about 5k saved up for it, and in my head and on paper, it all looks like it is going to work. SO, I am really worried I am missing something when looking at how high most budgets are!!

Anyone care to list necessities or suggestions?

Thank you:)

Re: A little worried...And new here!

• The budget tool on here is extremely helpful. Call around and get quotes for caterers and venues and some places will work with you for your budget if you tell them I have x amount of dollars to put towards this they will usually help you.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Start with your guest list. Once you have a number of guests, you can look at venues and determine a date. Once you have the venue and the date, you can move on to food, drinks, etc and determine cost per person. With whatever is leftover, determine budgets for entertainment, photography, etc. 

That's how I did it, at least! Welcome to the board. The ladies here are great and will be very helpful, I'm sure!
     Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Welcome!

Budgets can really depend on where you're getting married and what sort of wedding you're having.  I live in an expensive place to get married.  And I'm getting married in the city.  Numbers matter as well.  Even in this location and in the city, we could manage with 5K if we scaled back our numbers.  You might live in an area that you can stretch that 5K out even more.  I think the trick is to decide how you want to prioritize your money.  And you need to host your guests properly.  So if you decide that you want 100 people and you can only afford to serve punch and cake, that's fantastic!  Adjust your time so the reception isn't during a meal time.  If you decide you'd rather have 30 people and host a nice dinner, that's a great option as well!

You just need to figure out how you want to spend what you have and go for it!  You have plenty of time to get on things and make it work.  I've had a bit longer to plan, but I'm also doing this mostly on my own (FI helps out but I don't have anyone else helping), and we're moving before we get married (from our parents' homes, so that should be fun!) so we are trying to get ahead of things so we can take a break to focus on other things.  I think you've got plenty of time and you don't need to stress.

So prioritize what you want.  Usually about 50% of your budge goes to the recpetion.  And you might want to post on Budge Weddings and get ideas there!
  • Another vote for guest list!  Start with an "A list" of people that absolutely must bet there and then a "B list" of people you'd love to invite if you could budget for it.  You'll be able to decide how you can comfortably host that amounf of people then go from there!  Be open to Friday and Sundays and Sunday brunches!  The budget tool on here is great, too because you can add/subtract things from the main budget.

DIY alot!  The DIY board on here is great and so is pinterest.

Find ways to cut corners.  We picked a venue that allows us to bring our own caterer and then picked a caterer that allows us to bring our own liquor.  We are having SO much mpney that way....a large liquor store chain by us lets you return unopened bottles!

***Sept 2013 Jan. Siggy Challange - Bouquet Inspiration!***
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Congrats on being engaged and welcome to the board! I agree with PP about starting with a guest list and determining a number of guests. Also, sign up for as many email lists as you can on invitation site and bridal websites because they do offer good deals once in awhile!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    September 2013 Siggy Challenge: Bouquet Inspiration
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Well, this is what we have so far, from a couple weeks of brainstorming and internet/window shopping-
    Disclaimer before you read further- we are not fancy people, lol, we are very nerdy gamers. All of our family and friends know this, so we were wanting to do something very unique and "us."
    315 will be invited, expecting at least 230 from this number to come.

Ceremony and Reception(Includes Set up, tear down, fees/insurance, bartenders, 2 kegs of beer, and up to 400 glasses of wine, soft drinks, tables and chairs) 1570 (my grandpa is in charge of the venue that we are renting from, has helped alot with discounts and getting things at the cost that it actually costs the place to do it)

Officiant- free! retired pastor, friend of family

DJ-150 ( we have the playlist and all the songs downloaded, friend of a friend, will just be used to actually play the music when necessary and keep the croud going, introduce people, etc) he has all equiptment needed

Cake- Cupcakes for guests-50(sister is making these, nerd themed icing- mr and mrs pacman), 2 tier cake for us and wedding party-75 (sister is making this as well)

Food- Buffet style table set up, not a sit down/serve type of thing.BBQ pork and plain pulled pork (FREE, my dad is a swine farmer!), rolls/bread-free (my dad has connections with a few bakeries), chips/dip and fruit-150 (bulk foods store), possible beans and potatoe salad-grandma making and paying for

POSSIBLE-Nerdy/gamer finger food table- Pizza rolls, cheezy puffs, cookies, and candies(skittles, m&ms, runts, sour gummy worms)-350(bulk food store)

decorations- all handmade by me and my bridesmaids(a lot of legos we already own, action figures we already own, and the rest is paint and vases and fabric we need to buy)- 800 for supplies, plus lots of woman-power, candles- 100, favors-60

bridemaids- 7 bridesmaids- 20/per dress to make them(tutu style dress, I makes costumes for fun, so doing this to cut costs)-140, shoes- each getting themselves, hair and makeup done by my hairsylist-250 for all of them, bouquets made from fake flowers-75 for all 7.

groomsmen- neon green ties for all 7-140, lego/flower pin on shirt-45 for all 7, wearing thier own black pants, black shirts, black shoes

my dress- under 200 ( haven't chosen yet, trying on at store then buying off of outlet site)
    my hair and makeup- 45
    shoes- pair of chucks I already own lol
    bouquet- one with real flowers and one w fake flowers- total 60
    garter- handmade by me, from leftover materials from bridal party dresses

groom-tux-150

photographer- 3 different ones, one for just the posed professional pictures- 150(all pictures on cd and 50 printed out), 2 are friends that do professional photography, will be doing the reception and ceremony for free-ish, disposable cameras on each table (30 cameras from amazon) 85

This gives us about 400 left for wiggle room or other things we want...
    Any suggestions on things that I missed? 
  • mpicklmpickl member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited November 2012
    sounds like you have a pretty good start! my only concern is 50 cupcakes for 200+ people. but yeah, you shouldn't be worried! you are doing great so far, from where I am sitting!

ETA: are you doing favors? (I definitely don't think this is a must, just thinking of what is missing...). What about gifts for the families and bridal party? Bouts for the guys?
     Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • that was 50 dollars for the cupcakes. My sister is making the cupcakes and the icing!

We are not sure on favors. We are contemplating them, but cannot decide.
    I know for our gifts for our wedding party, we are doing specific things for each. They are not expensive gifts, more of a handmade "thank you" that is personalized for them, picture frame perhaps? 
  • Welcome!  I'm newly engaged too and feel you on the stress of being "behind."  No worries - we still have plenty of time!

Check out the budget board here too!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • wow that sounds great... it's nice to have family connection and family help to bring down the cost...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Good for you!  It sounds like it will be a blast.  Money and time crunch only comes in to play when you want a really formal/big/elaborate wedding with vendors that don't come cheap, are commonly booked at least a year ahead and connections are few and far between.  You have none of those issues so you're all set.  You can relax and enjoy the planning!  Congrats!
  • My only concern is that you budget for all 315 to come. You may be surprised. As rsvps come in, thou can adjust. But you don't want to only have enough food for 280 and the rest are hungry. Also I've read a few posts in diy and budget about family making food for guests. Is their kitchen big enough? Do they have room to store and transport food for over 300 people? It can be difficult to double/triple recipes. Just make sure you're prepared.
    Sept. 13 March Siggy Challenge: hair inspiration
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards