Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth
Options

Poll: Knot/Wedding Advice you Hate!! (Stolen from Snarky, I think)

So I thought this might be fun.  I saw it on Snarky Brides I think.  (You ladies have woo'd me into browsing over there lately since it has been a slow work week)

What "canned" Knot/Wedding advice were you given and/or absolutely HATE hearing?

Re: Poll: Knot/Wedding Advice you Hate!! (Stolen from Snarky, I think)

• Options
    cfibelkorncfibelkorn member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    "It's your wedding do what YOU want too"

I was thinking...in case you do already get it...EVERYBODY has a say about your wedding and unless you want WWIII its better to just go with the flow sometimes....even if it isn't want YOU want :/
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'll start...but I'm sure I will think of some more.

1.  Elope while you still can!   - Excuse me, you had your wedding.. now let me have mine and all the stress that goes along with it.

2. The Bridesmaids only responsibility is to put on a dress and show up - While that is technically true, they should AT LEAST be interested in your wedding plans.  I wouldn't have someone in my wedding who didn't give a d*mn.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Also..

Don't bother with programs or favors.  No one looks at them and they just get thrown away.

Seriously?  I mean if you don't have the budget or don't want to, that's cool....but don't give someone advice like that.  Let them make their own choice if they want them or not!! Argh.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_poll-knotwedding-advice-hate-stolen-snarky-think?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:4095b55b-0401-410a-8b9e-1f04c6f683d2Post:5b4bf7bd-2e2b-4389-b4d1-a6ee6ca6362a">Poll: Knot/Wedding Advice you Hate!! (Stolen from Snarky, I think)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I saw it on Snarky Brides I think.  (You ladies have woo'd me into browsing over there lately since it has been a slow work week)
    Posted by Tiffany618[/QUOTE]

Yay! :D

Someone over there mentioned not determining BM/WP more than a year out. I say to each their own on that; I knew which girls have stood by me through thick and thin and I wanted standing next to me on my day. I don't think determining that 18 months out is a faux pas.
    ~DFWs Resident Snark~
    I'm not so good with the advice... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment?
  • Options
    MLandCJMLandCJ member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011

I hate hate hate when people/vendors use this line...

You know It's Wedding Season!

When isn't it wedding season!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011

cfibelkorn- I totally agree! 

They say do what you want to do, but then gripe the whole time.  I just returned all the shoes and jewelry I had bought for my BMs as a gift to go with their dresses, because they were all complaining about  something. They were so cute too! Makes me sad, but if I don't have to hear them whine, then I'll be fine. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    bsn1752bsn1752 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011

"At the end of the day, you'll be married... and that's all that matters anyway."

Yes, that is true.  But we are spending enough money on these weddings of ours that I'd actually like concrete feedback and support... and not crap like this.

• Options
    Buttercup509Buttercup509 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

This doesn't really count as advice, but I still hated hearing it.

1. Are you nervous?
    I understand day of jitters, but if I was truly nervous about marrying my husband I might need to think about things a little more. I doubt this was what people were insinuating. They probably meant walking in a big dress in front of 100 people. The question just gets old.

2. How's married life? Have things changed since the wedding?
    No, things haven't changed. Why should they? If I thought he was going to turn into someone else after the wedding, I wouldn't have married him. Yes, being married is wonderful but it's not like there are magical fairies floating around sprinkling us with fairy dust.

I'm just glad I don't have to hear these kinds of questions anymore. There is a bright side ladies; all the annoying stuff will stop eventually.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_poll-knotwedding-advice-hate-stolen-snarky-think?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:4095b55b-0401-410a-8b9e-1f04c6f683d2Post:22dcaf8f-161b-4031-bf72-869e603d58dc">Re: Poll: Knot/Wedding Advice you Hate!! (Stolen from Snarky, I think)</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>Yes, being married is wonderful but it's not like there are magical fairies floating around sprinkling us with fairy dust.</strong>  Posted by Buttercup509[/QUOTE]

Bahahahah!!!   Yes! 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_poll-knotwedding-advice-hate-stolen-snarky-think?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:4095b55b-0401-410a-8b9e-1f04c6f683d2Post:641182bd-67a6-4902-acb9-4e4d72725aa8">Re: Poll: Knot/Wedding Advice you Hate!! (Stolen from Snarky, I think)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Also.. Don't bother with programs or favors.  No one looks at them and they just get thrown away.
    Posted by Tiffany618[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>This is one of mine too. I hate this. It isn't true at all. The programs are what keep me from going nuts while I'm bored off MY @SS waiting for a ceremony to start. </div><div>
    </div><div>"Elope or do a destination wedding-it's so much easier"</div><div>
    </div><div>Um, yeah, no. I have been down the DW road before, and I have news for you, it's not easier, in fact, it's harder than planning a traditional wedding, and just as expensive if not more expensive. Not to mention, you're inconveniencing everyone, making them pay a crap ton of money that they may not even have for what could be their only vacation that year- for YOUR wedding, and potentially making them pay for a passport if they're not typical travelers.

</div>
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_poll-knotwedding-advice-hate-stolen-snarky-think?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:4095b55b-0401-410a-8b9e-1f04c6f683d2Post:22dcaf8f-161b-4031-bf72-869e603d58dc">Re: Poll: Knot/Wedding Advice you Hate!! (Stolen from Snarky, I think)</a>:
    [QUOTE]This doesn't really count as advice, but I still hated hearing it. 1. Are you nervous? 2. How's married life? Have things changed since the wedding? Posted by Buttercup509[/QUOTE]

THESE TWO EXACTLY!!!

No I'm not nervous....should I be hahaha what kind of a weird a** question is that

And I have been with my DH for over 5 yrs and living together for 3-4 yrs...what the hell would change
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Don't sweat the small things....

What the hell do you mean DONT sweat the small things...I spent a couple thousand dollars on "small things", so I wouldn't really consider those "small" haha
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_poll-knotwedding-advice-hate-stolen-snarky-think?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:4095b55b-0401-410a-8b9e-1f04c6f683d2Post:22dcaf8f-161b-4031-bf72-869e603d58dc">Re: Poll: Knot/Wedding Advice you Hate!! (Stolen from Snarky, I think)</a>:
    [QUOTE] 2. How's married life? Have things changed since the wedding? No, things haven't changed. Why should they? If I thought he was going to turn into someone else after the wedding, I wouldn't have married him. Yes, being married is wonderful but it's not like there are magical fairies floating around sprinkling us with fairy dust. 
    Posted by Buttercup509[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I have to disagree with this one. DH and I lived together for about 6 months before the wedding, and although I never expected him, or anything else to "change" after the wedding, things do "feel" different now that we're married. It's a good different, something that can't really be described. It's a wonderful feeling. </div><div>
    </div><div>But, since I don't want to sound all sappy and weird I normally tell people "Nope, nothing's changed" because I don't feel like I owe them some kind of explanation. But in reality, to me, being married does feel different than dating, or being engaged.

</div>
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    To cut your budget cut your guest list...

Yea Im really sure Aunt Sue would love to hear about how her, her husband and two kids had to get cut so someone else could have steak instead of chicken or so you could now afford to buy some alcohol....

I think you should invite who is important to you and figure out your budget based off the people you want to spend that day with
  • Options
    fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Don't do a "_____" because it's tacky.  Insert:  dollar dance, cash bar, HM registry, garter toss, etc.

Some things are common in different circles.  Not everyone can afford an open bar.  A bride knows her own crowd better than strangers on the internet and should be able to determine for herself what will be acceptable and what won't and shouldn't be made to feel bad after doing so.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    This one doesn't pertain to me, but I cringe every time I see it.

"If you don't like what <insert paying persons name here> wants you to do, then pay for it yourself and do what you want"

True enough I suppose, but that isn't going to make them any less of a nagging PITA about it.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_poll-knotwedding-advice-hate-stolen-snarky-think?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:4095b55b-0401-410a-8b9e-1f04c6f683d2Post:8f9a0129-58b2-4cd2-97aa-b67435bb6fb7">Re: Poll: Knot/Wedding Advice you Hate!! (Stolen from Snarky, I think)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Don't do a "_____" because it's tacky.  Insert:  dollar dance, cash bar, HM registry, garter toss, etc. Some things are common in different circles.  Not everyone can afford an open bar.  A bride knows her own crowd better than strangers on the internet and should be able to determine for herself what will be acceptable and what won't.
    Posted by stephiehall[/QUOTE]

THIS!! More than half of my family thought I was "fancy" just by having a plated dinner, let alone a bar at all (even if it was cash). I kept being told "Why don't y'all just do cake and punch" hahaha
  • Options
    mckem14mckem14 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

My family has our own stores so I have regular customers that come through each week.  So, the major question I get is "How are the wedding plans coming?"  Really?  Nothing has changed since you have been in two days ago!  I can't tell you how many times I hear that each week.  Drives me insane!

Also, people see my ring and say, "Wow!  He must really love you!"  Well, he must if I am wearing it huh?

The best one of all  is..."You really shouldn't serve alcohol at your wedding!"  I asked why?  She said, "What if someone gets behind the wheel after drinking?"  I responded,  "We are all adults here and they should know better!"

I guess this was more of a rant of things I hear day in and day out.  Sorry! 

"Love reminds you that nothing else matters." Amy Bushnell Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_poll-knotwedding-advice-hate-stolen-snarky-think?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:4095b55b-0401-410a-8b9e-1f04c6f683d2Post:0cad4559-eb97-441b-9a9b-25cb52420c52">Re: Poll: Knot/Wedding Advice you Hate!! (Stolen from Snarky, I think)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Poll: Knot/Wedding Advice you Hate!! (Stolen from Snarky, I think) : I have to disagree with this one. DH and I lived together for about 6 months before the wedding, and although I never expected him, or anything else to "change" after the wedding,<strong> things do "feel" different now that we're married</strong>. It's a good different, something that can't really be described. It's a wonderful feeling.  But, since I don't want to sound all sappy and weird I normally tell people "Nope, nothing's changed" because I don't feel like I owe them some kind of explanation. But in reality, to me, being married does feel different than dating, or being engaged.
    Posted by NMac2010[/QUOTE]

I agree with you that things do "feel" different. I think this is different for everyone. We bought a house together 3 years before we were married. You probably have that feeling a little more than I do. The way this question was often presented to me was as if things were suddenly supposed to be very stereotypical and we were supposed to bicker and fight. That just isn't how things are.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_poll-knotwedding-advice-hate-stolen-snarky-think?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:4095b55b-0401-410a-8b9e-1f04c6f683d2Post:576159c3-7255-40c9-a9ce-01c5f136cea4">Re: Poll: Knot/Wedding Advice you Hate!! (Stolen from Snarky, I think)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Poll: Knot/Wedding Advice you Hate!! (Stolen from Snarky, I think) : I agree with you that things do "feel" different. I think this is different for everyone. We bought a house together 3 years before we were married. You probably have that feeling a little more than I do. The way this question was often presented to me was as if things were suddenly supposed to be very stereotypical and we were supposed to bicker and fight. That just isn't how things are.
    </div><div>Yeah, I agree it's probably different for everyone. I think people tend to not know what to ask after the wedding. I would take "Does it feel different?" over "So, when are you having kids?" ANY day! I can't stand that question. 

</div>
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with Chelsea on the "sweating the small stuff".  It's all the small details that a lot of us but the most time and effort into making our wedding different and us.  If we didn't all worry about these things then we'd all have the same wedding. 

Some people stress more than others but you don't know what else is going on in their life.  During our wedding planning I was dealing with my step-dad's cancer.  The only thing that kept me from going insane in the last 4-6 months was the wedding because he was getting worse.  I know I complained on here a lot about little things not going right but with everything else in my life crumbling around me I wanted just one thing to be perfect and it was the wedding. 

If you think the person is overreacting just move past the post if you don't have anything positive to say.  The "small stuff" could be the only thing that can go right at the time for that bride and everyone telling them to chill out doesn't help at all!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_poll-knotwedding-advice-hate-stolen-snarky-think?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:4095b55b-0401-410a-8b9e-1f04c6f683d2Post:22ce6724-cf73-4f07-abec-c41269021681">Re: Poll: Knot/Wedding Advice you Hate!! (Stolen from Snarky, I think)</a>:
    [QUOTE]To cut your budget cut your guest list... Yea Im really sure Aunt Sue would love to hear about how her, her husband and two kids had to get cut so someone else could have steak instead of chicken or so you could now afford to buy some alcohol.... I think you should invite who is important to you and figure out your budget based off the people you want to spend that day with
    Posted by cfibelkorn[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>ITA. I think the people you spend your day with are more important than the details, but some people just have different priorities. 

</div>
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_poll-knotwedding-advice-hate-stolen-snarky-think?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:4095b55b-0401-410a-8b9e-1f04c6f683d2Post:22ce6724-cf73-4f07-abec-c41269021681">Re: Poll: Knot/Wedding Advice you Hate!! (Stolen from Snarky, I think)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think you should invite who is important to you and figure out your budget based off the people you want to spend that day with
    Posted by cfibelkorn[/QUOTE]
    I think that is wonderful advice.  Why do we do it the other way around?  While we cut our list due to space and not budget, I ended up regretting it.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I HATE the........So, when are you having kids? question

I want to say...well you will know when I tell you I'm pregnant.

We have been married for a month and I'm only 21!!!! GEEZZZ!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_poll-knotwedding-advice-hate-stolen-snarky-think?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:4095b55b-0401-410a-8b9e-1f04c6f683d2Post:958d28b0-5b44-41bd-9a6e-85e9676b5190">Re: Poll: Knot/Wedding Advice you Hate!! (Stolen from Snarky, I think)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Poll: Knot/Wedding Advice you Hate!! (Stolen from Snarky, I think) : Yeah, I agree it's probably different for everyone. I think people tend to not know what to ask after the wedding. I would take "Does it feel different?" over <strong>"So, when are you having kids?" ANY day! I can't stand that question. 
    </strong>Posted by NMac2010[/QUOTE]

I know! Sometimes I want to tell people I can't have children, just to make them feel like an ass. I don't want to jinx myself. That really isn't something to lie about. Instead, I just smile and say "someday."
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Ohhh, I thought of another one.

Your invitations don't have to match your menus and placecards, you don't need a monogram, no one will notice the details but you, etc.

Whatever.  I notice these things at every wedding I go to.  And having a design element that I could use throughout my wedding really helped me tie everything together.  And it looked great.  So there.  :)

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_poll-knotwedding-advice-hate-stolen-snarky-think?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:4095b55b-0401-410a-8b9e-1f04c6f683d2Post:e87bc5fc-d6fe-4116-b1e7-1abb85f4b482">Re: Poll: Knot/Wedding Advice you Hate!! (Stolen from Snarky, I think)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Poll: Knot/Wedding Advice you Hate!! (Stolen from Snarky, I think) : I know! Sometimes I want to tell people I can't have children, just to make them feel like an ass. I don't want to jinx myself. That really isn't something to lie about. Instead, I just smile and say "someday."
    </div><div>Yeah, my sister-in-law just got engaged a few weeks ago and so when any of DH's family asks when we're having kids, I just defer to her and say "well, I bet SIL could take care of that for you before we will, why don't you go ask her!"

</div>
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_poll-knotwedding-advice-hate-stolen-snarky-think?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:4095b55b-0401-410a-8b9e-1f04c6f683d2Post:97f47533-30b4-4e59-a747-d156eef86875">Re: Poll: Knot/Wedding Advice you Hate!! (Stolen from Snarky, I think)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Poll: Knot/Wedding Advice you Hate!! (Stolen from Snarky, I think) : Yeah, my sister-in-law just got engaged a few weeks ago and so when any of DH's family asks when we're having kids, I just defer to her and say "well, I bet SIL could take care of that for you before we will, why don't you go ask her!"
    Posted by NMac2010[/QUOTE]

"Never" is still working really well for me.   Suprisingly, people genuinely don't know what to say to that.  Hehe...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_poll-knotwedding-advice-hate-stolen-snarky-think?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:4095b55b-0401-410a-8b9e-1f04c6f683d2Post:f00781f4-19fa-4d72-941f-35497159c9e9">Re: Poll: Knot/Wedding Advice you Hate!! (Stolen from Snarky, I think)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Poll: Knot/Wedding Advice you Hate!! (Stolen from Snarky, I think) : "Never" is still working really well for me.   Suprisingly, people genuinely don't know what to say to that.  Hehe...
    Posted by Tiffany618[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>haha, Tiffany I think that would appall DH's family. Anyone else I'm good with saying that to. </div><div>
    </div><div>Honestly though I'm still on the fence about that topic. If we have them, great. If we don't ever get around to it, meh, oh well. Right now we have too much traveling and enjoying life to do. Kids are so low on the totem pole at this point in my life. And I'm already at the old granny age of 26 but it's not making me want to have them any quicker. 

</div>
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Natalie -  I'm 26 too, a certifiable Old Married Hag.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards