September 2013 Weddings

It's amazing what someone elses' wedding can help you determine about your own...

Went to a wedding this weekend... 

Bride is a good friend, and I traded my coordinator skills for some of the left over catering supplies when her other reception coordinator went MIA 4 days before the wedding.  Between running around trying to make sure everyone was taken care of, and keep the guests out of the kitchen until the coffee was done, I learned a few things, and have really had to rethink some details.  
1. I want a much more traditional ceremony than she had. There's something to be said about the old fashioned vows.  And I want those. 
2.  I will not be serving sandwiches and self catering everything.  It's a very good thing I found a local caterer that's about the same price as making my own deli trays. Problem is that it's hawaiian BBQ and now FMIL seems to think my wedding reception will now become a luau, and wants to throw in hawaiian details everywhere.  Not. gonna. happen. 
3.  I will pay someone, and get a contract if needed, for reception coordination.  I don't want my friends (even if they volunteer) working at my wedding.  I want them to enjoy themselves.  If they want to help clean up, then sure, but I want them to have fun. 
4.  My whole decor.  I was already in the process of rethinking it, but it still continues.  
5.  I want to make a speech during the toasts and try to actually thank everyone who helped out.  My fellow last minute coordinator and I felt kind of unappreciated.  We've gotten thank yous and stuff from the guests, but it would have been nice to hear it from the Bride and Groom that day... 

I knew that going to this wedding would give me a kick in the pants to get me more motivated, but I didn't expect to have to rethink things this much...  

Anyone else had that happen?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: It's amazing what someone elses' wedding can help you determine about your own...

• Yes, I had a similar experience many years ago.  I also felt under appreciated especially because I missed out on a lot of the fun parts of the wedding because I was running around making sure vendors were doing things right and the decorations were perfect etc. 

I am also hiring 2 contracted people for the day of wedding coordination.  It is well worth it in the end!  My FI had issues with spending the extra money but I have saved us thousands by doing everything myself!  This was the one thing I wanted to splurge on.  It wasn't until his best man said how great of a deal that was and how he wished they would have done it that he is letting me go ahead with it. 

Completely eases your mind and your ability to enjoy YOUR day!  Plus you nailed it when you said you don't want your friends or family working on the day of your wedding.  Good luck!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards