Favors
Options

Why??

Why is everyone so against everything that is diferent and unique for favors? Why is everyone so pro-edible favors? Are people not going to get enough food at your wedding, where they need a snack after? BE UNIQUE! If you want to have CDs, have CDs! Want plants or seeds? Go for it!! Donations to a special charity or organization? Good for you! I don't understand why people feel the need to provide more food on top of dinner and dessert.

Okay, vent over. I feel better. :) 

Re: Why??

• Options
    melissamc2melissamc2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't even think "against" is the right word for it.  I, personally, just hate to see someone quite literally throw away their money, particularly if they say they are tight on funds.

I would very likely throw away a seed packet or a cd.   As for a donation - the minute I see someone make a spectacle of having made one (yes, I consider announcing it, even if on paper, at a wedding to be making a spectacle of it), it becomes much less of a good deed and far more of a "TELL ME WHAT A GOOD PERSON I AM" act.  It's taken even less seriously when the person doing it is saying "and I didn't want to spend the $.07 per person to give you an after-dinner mint in order to make my donation, BUT LOOK AT THE SWANS SWIMMING AROUND IN THE MAN-MADE LAKE I INSISTED ON INSIDE OUR THREE STORY TENT!"  Plus, making a donation to a cause/organization I don't agree with/support would be anything but a favor.

I would rather someone have NO favors than obviously "not for the guest at all, but for themselves"  "favors."  The whole wedding and reception, in essence, is for the couple.  There's really no reason to make it even MORE about you (the couple).

90% of people will take a mint or a chocolate or a cookie.  If some are leftover, people can take extras (kids never mind this) or you can have them for yourselves.  Too many mix cds, seeds, or what have you...and you're just stuck with junk.  Plus, it's far more obvious how many people think your "favor" was BS when you look out at the potential sea of leftover "things."

It's not "don't do anything unique," it's more  "don't do anything dicky."  At least when it comes from ME it is.

10-10-10
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_why?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:27Discussion:0e386fe0-0310-4f01-828b-2c8d9473d373Post:47d0ba8c-b307-49d6-a5b8-9ab3de2c542b">Re: Why??</a>:
    [QUOTE]The whole wedding and reception, in essence, is for the couple.  There's really no reason to make it even MORE about you (the couple).
    Posted by melissamc2[/QUOTE]

We're trying to make our entire wedding day about our guests. Dinner choices, dessert bar, open bar...in essence, you are hosting your wedding and a good hostess always takes care of the guests first.
  • Options
    melissamc2melissamc2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes, but YOU are doing the picking.  While yes, it's "for" the people attending...it really comes back to you (us, as we brides and grooms, not YOU specifically).  No matter how "for everyone" it is - it's we who are calling the shots.  Our invitations don't have popular opinion polls in them (and no, I don't consider a choice of pre-picked entrees to be "up to them."

If you (generic you of course) are truly thinking about your guests, a donation "favor" would NEVER come up.  Ever.  Same with a cd of music you like.  Those aren't "for" anyone, they are "from" someone.  The difference may be small, but it's there.

EDIT:  Nevermind.  I just saw in another post that you're doing a donation favor for an organization that is dear to you.  We're never going to agree on this for a few reasons, and that's ok!  I hope your wedding and marriage are very happy!  Congratulations!

10-10-10
  • Options
    trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011

OP:  Because most of the things you're suggesting are NOT for your guests.  They're something that's meaningful to YOU.  That doesn't mean it's meaningful to ME. 

Melissamc2 is spot on with her explanation.

CD's with your favorite music?  That's not really for me if it's YOUR favorite music.  I have never kept a CD that someone made of their favorite music and then "gifted" to me.

Donations to a charity?  How is that for me?

Make your donation.  I believe in donations.  I make them myself.  I think they're a good thing to do.

But don't pretend that they're a favor to your guests.  Because they're not.  They're a favor to the organization, and to you.  You're taking the money you'd spend on a little something for your guests and giving it to someone else.  How do you figure that's a favor for your guests?

Honestly, I don't need a favor.  I don't really want a favor.  You're already giving me food, drinks, entertainment.  I don't need a matchbook or m&ms (although I LOVE m&ms) as a thank you.

But please don't in any, way, shape or form think that giving $$ to a charity is somehow doing something for me.

I'd liken it to a guest coming to your wedding and giving you a card that says "In honor of your marriage, I have given a donation to the "eastern micronesia tsunami prevention fund".  It may be important to your guest, but it probably doesn't mean anything to you.  So it's not really a gift for you, is it?

"Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    As a guest, the only favors I have ever enjoyed and were glad to get were edible ones that I could eat right there on the spot.  Everything else has gotten thrown away.

Favors are expensive and are alot of time and effort.  And to be perfectly honest, the guests don't care about them.  Even though mine were cute, they weren't worth it in the end and I wished I had listened when people on TK told me not to bother.  No one cares.  They just want to eat, drink, have a good time and if they want to remember your wedding, they'll look at pictures. 
  • Options
    mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Most favors are silly, and I could absolutely do without them.  If you feel a pressing need to do a favor, make it something that your guests will generally enjoy.  If your guests don't like your taste in music, a CD is a waste of your time and money because it'll go in the trash. 

Donations to charites are great (I donate regularly to a number of different charities), but they aren't favors to your guests.  If you'd prefer to make a donation and skip the favor thing, do right by both the charity and your guests -- don't spend money printing out those AW charitable donation cards; give that money in addition to your predetermined donation to your charity.  Unless you are making the donation in the name of every one of your guests, the donation is a tax deduction for your and not them, so they don't need a piece of paper proving the donation happened.
  • Options
    mstar284mstar284 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Everything I have found for favors seems silly and a waste of money. Maybe I'm just not thinking outside of the box. I wouldn't want to give my guests favors if it wasn't something that they would use/appreciate. One of my friends gave us coasters that you could insert a photo into. While it was a cute idea (probably one of the better ones), they weren't my style and did not go well with the decor in my house. So you can't please everyone.

Photobucket

Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone!  You have just helped me solve that money and time problem... No favors!  Got it!!  Check that off the To-Do list!!
    My goal for 2013...Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards