Favors
Options

homemade vanilla

Hey guys I am getting married in September of 2013 with approximately 200 hundred guests. For favors I would love to make homemade vanilla and bottle it with a couple beans so people can refill it with vodka and just keep making their own vanilla instead of buying it. The idea being, theoretically whenever they use it they will think of us.

With that being said I guess what I am wondering is

A) Good Idea? Be honest

B) Is doing one per family okay? or should I have something that every single person can take?

Thanks so much 

Daisypath Wedding tickers

Re: homemade vanilla

• Options
    Only you know your crowd. Are the majority of your guests big bakers? Otherwise, I don't know what else they'd use vanilla for.

I personally would never use this. I don't bake much (if at all) any longer and homemade condiments/spice mixes/syrups, etc aren't my style.
  • Options
    I agree with PP.  This would go over well if your families are into food.  I went to a friend's reception where he was a chef, and he created their own spice rub and gave them as favors --- it was a huge hit to me since i love to cook, but i could see where others might not be so thrilled.  it's all up to your guests.

that being said - if you're going to do it, do one per family.

perhaps you can package the favor with a recipe on how to make vanilla, and perhaps cookies or some other recipe that uses it? 
  • Options
    DH and I both bake but I honestly don't know if we would use your vanillia.  Also, this is kind of an expensive favor isn't it?  At my store, one vanilla bean will run you at least $6.00
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • Options
    I agree with PPs above. If your guests are not really into baking, it wouldn't be a very good favor for them. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    I have made vanilla before and I won't do it again.  I'd rather spend the money on good vanilla.  Know that you are talking about a favor that is not at all cheap.  If you do decide to move forward with this I recommend checking out beanilla.com.  I bought an entire pound of vanilla beans from them about a year and a half ago for under 60.00.  They were nice Madagascar beans.  Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards