Favors
Options

XP: Giving Away Decor Items Instead of Favors?

We're on a very tight budget and favors seem to be a cost that we just can't afford.  Does anybody think its tacky for us to give away our decor (ie. centerpieces, picture frames, candle holders, etcetera) instead of giving away favors?  I was thinking we could either have a bride/groom trivia game and each person that answers the question correctly wins a decor item, or just have a draw for each item.  This solves the problem of what to do with all our wedding stuff, doesn't require us to spend extra on favors, plus is something for our guests to take away from the wedding.  We are only having about 40 guests, so I think we will have almost enough items for each person. 

What I'm not sure about with this, though is if it is tacky and if guests that get smaller items will feel slighted?   Also, if we don't have quite enough items to give away, should we get small favors for the rest (which will still cost less than buying small favors for every guest)?

Thanks for the input!

Re: XP: Giving Away Decor Items Instead of Favors?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_xp-giving-away-decor-items-instead-of-favors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:27Discussion:5b9bb6ba-e638-4b2b-9c5b-a295d1d2151dPost:98ce53c7-6744-4c3e-a11a-f764a1280786">XP: Giving Away Decor Items Instead of Favors?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We're on a very tight budget and favors seem to be a cost that we just can't afford.  Does anybody think its tacky for us to give away our decor (ie. centerpieces, picture frames, candle holders, etcetera) instead of giving away favors?  I was thinking we could either have a bride/groom trivia game and each person that answers the question correctly wins a decor item, or just have a draw for each item.  This solves the problem of what to do with all our wedding stuff, doesn't require us to spend extra on favors, plus is something for our guests to take away from the wedding.  We are only having about 40 guests, so I think we will have almost enough items for each person.  What I'm not sure about with this, though is if it is tacky and if guests that get smaller items will feel slighted?   Also, if we don't have quite enough items to give away, should we get small favors for the rest (which will still cost less than buying small favors for every guest)? Thanks for the input!
    Posted by jencitamaria[/QUOTE]

I dont like this idea, sorry.
    You can just not do favors and I promise, no one will miss them.
  • Options
    jagore08jagore08 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Just skip the favors altogether. 
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    rascal17rascal17 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you plan on doing this just skip the whole trivia game. Just announce near the end that they can take the items home if they like. I plan on letting my guests take home the centerpeices but then again my centerpeices will be live herbs in a cute flower pot (FI and I both work in the food industry so this suits us perfectly and our guests will understand it)

I am also doing favors (candy in cute teeny tiny little picnic baskets, hangover/breakfast kits) but some of my decor are going to be going home with guests as gifts (picnic blankets, picnic baskets, centerpeices)
    Pumpernickel and olive juice
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think it's kind of tacky, but that's just my opinion...I think you could buy some fabric/netting and do handfuls of mints or m&m's in them if you want to go cheap. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would skip the favors if you do not want to have them, you can give the centerpieces to some of your guests but I would not give them as favors.  Here is a website with ideas on how to give away centerpieces

http://www.ehow.com/way_5217743_ideas-give-away-centerpieces.html
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ummm, no.  I would rather have no favor than to "win" your wedding stuff.
    imageDaisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yes I am not a fan of the idea either, it seems kinda tacky. I'd just skip favors anyways, no biggie
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would skip the favors but still let guests know towards the end that they can take some of the stuff home, if they'd like.  No pressure.  But favors are completely optional...don't feel the need to do them if you can't afford them.  My little sister got married in July and it wasn't until like a month afterwards I realized they didn't do favors!!!  And it was a gorgeous wedding.  Good luck! :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards