Favors

Need ideas for favor bar

I am looking for ideas on a favor bar i could do at my reception in june. I had initially wanted to do a smores bar, but the reception site said no to using sternos or marshmellows. So then i wanted to do a candy bar, well they said no to anything with chocolate or carmel. I had thought about a trail mix bar, but with no chocolate or carmels or marshmellows it kind of makes that more difficult. I want an edible favor, and im not into the popcorn bar or ice cream bar. The reception site would probably say no to the ice cream bar anyways. So any suggestions would be great! Thanks

Re: Need ideas for favor bar

• The reception site won't let you have caramel, chocolate or marshmallows??? I'm sorry, I'm still hung up on that....
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Having a cookie table is a big tradition in Pittsburgh.  Some people provide takeout boxes with the table.  But it may be limited by the restrictions you mentioned.  You usually figure about 4 cookies per person (or 5-6 with takeout boxes), but in city where it is not the norm, you could probably reduce that number a little.
    Here is a link to the article the New York Times wrote about it:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/16/dining/16cookies.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0
  • They're allowing you to have wedding cake (I assume), but no other candies or desserts? Bizzare. I'm assuming they're worried about the carpets?

So you could have fruit candies, but no chocolates?

How is a sticky, chewy, fruit candy (like jelly bellies, skittles, starburst, etc) any better  than something chocolatey like Hershey's kisses or M&Ms?

What exactly is your reception site? Tongue out

• How odd. I would say just forget the "bar" and do individualized favors like cookies or do the cookie table like Csuave suggested. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Does it make a difference if the chocolate / caramel is wrapped?  How very strange.

I like the cookie table idea (surely chocolate chips baked into a cookie aren't going to be a problem!) or go with Addie's suggestion of prepackaged favors.
  • yah and none of these things were listed in there contract or even told to me before deciding to go with them. The reception is being held at a hotel. The said no to the marshmellows because they said they just got new carpets. The carmel and chocolate are not allwed because they spoil, which just really confuses me. So they said as long as i used any other candies that were not perishable, that would be ok. I will check that website out.
  • Are they thinking that you are going to do like a fondue bar with chocolate or caramel? Did you specifically say candies like M&Ms and that kind of thing? From your last post it sounds like you did. This is confusing. Technically all candy is perishable after a time. I would think cake is more perishable than some candy.

I would see if they would allow a cookie bar. They always are a big hit.

• They are restricting types of food based on carpets? What about other food that can spill on a carpet? That is really strange. Its a wedding venue, I'm pretty sure food will get spilled on the carpet. Do they also say no to marinara sauce? coffee? red wine? all of those things can stain...

Agree with PPs go with a wrapped favor or cookies. Or if they will allow fruity candy then go for a candy bar with jelly beans, cinnamon hearts, gummy candy...
  • I love the suggestion of the cookie bar or more fruity candies!

I know this isn't really a "bar" idea, but what about individual jars of jam or honey?

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • What an odd set of restrictions. Cookie favors sound great and most likely cheaper than candy such as Jellly Bellys and M&M's. Perhaps Brownies would work with the cookies.
  • I don't get the restrictions that they are giving you. That just doesn't make sense. Why are they saying no to candy. As someone stated before, all food is perishable. What's the difference's between foods. I would go back to your venue and see why they are restricting you on your options. If it's not in your contract, I would argue with them. It just doesn't make sense. As far as other edible favor ideas. The cookie bar seems like a really good idea. You can have cookies made with a frosting on them. But who knows if they will say you can't have those next. I think the first thing you should do is go back to your venue and see what other types of restrictions they want to dish out first. Then decide on your favors. I'm sorry, that just really stinks that they are limiting you on your options.
  • ice cream bar?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards