Favors
Options

"Good" favors, tacky favors...need some advice please.

I'm really toren about favors. We're doing an outdoor, natural feel wedding and I saw seed packets with personalization. Then I thought I'd save money and put seeds in cream colored tulle bags, and make green leaf labels with our names on them and tie them on the bags, but some people said that'd be a crappy favor. I'm also thinking about ordering pretty, personalized paper bags and filling them with seeds. Thoughts?

And what about cute, personalized matchbooks? Are those "good enough"? 

I want to go cheap. But I don't want my guests to think "Ew, thanks for nothing". Help?

Re: "Good" favors, tacky favors...need some advice please.

• Options
    Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    When trying to keep favors on the lower end financially, it's tough. But I think your ideas are fine.

I just went to a bridal show, and one of the vendors was handing out mini (I mean like an inch & 1/2 tall) clay pots with ribbon wrapped tulle inside, with seeds and with a tag. The tag reads:

Like our love, give this seed nourishment, love, and tender care. Let the roots dig in deep and enjoy the beauty of life together.

How much time you want to invest in this depends on how many people you are having. Just google "natural wedding favors" and see what comes up.

Don't tell people what you are doing in advance.........it's your wedding. You don't need everyone's opinion.

Good luck.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    [QUOTE] I thought I'd save money and put seeds in cream colored tulle bags, and make green leaf labels with our names on them and tie them on the bags, but some people said that'd be a crappy favor[/QUOTE]

Well you can tell this person they would make a crappy guests...

Don't listen to other's opinion as you will have some guests who will think it's a wonderful idea.!

I personally love it, I've received herb seed packets as a favor for a 50th birthday party with a pretty clay pot.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    First...stop listening to "some people".  It will make the whole process easier.  I love SueandKevin's idea, and also the same thing with the seed packet and the same label.  I would love it!
    My baby girl is a married woman...and now my baby girl HAS a baby girl. Time unfolds in such an amazing way. I've been blessed!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I love the seed idea and that's what we plan on doing... However, everywhere I've looked it's very expensive expect for one place... A woman on ebay sells scrolls with wildflower seeds inside a tube... It's actually quite cute. $69.99 for 100. Everywhere else I looked, we it was over $300 for 100. We purchased just one to make sure we really liked the idea and it came out great... My FI who was origionally opposed to the idea, really liked the idea after seeing it. Currently, she doesn't have the actual item posted that WE bought... But this is a link to another one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/300-WEDDING-SEED-PACKETS-FAVORS-UNIQUE-MANY-CHOICES-/370241748388?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item563420bda4

I'm not particulary fond of the seed packets (they aren't nearly as cute as the tubes with the scroll) --you could probably email her and see if she could send you pictures.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    jamjar11jamjar11 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was thinking about a seed idea, too. But mostly because I really love something I found. At a lot of Hallmark stores they have the Carlson Craft custom printing service (Carlson Craft does invitations, programs, favors, flutes, etc.) and in one of the books I found a personalized seeded heart. It's basically a little flat paper heart with wildflower seeds actually in the heart, so the guests can take it home and just plant the little heart. It comes tied to a little card that is personalized with your names and date and instructions for planting the heart. Its adorable, and I can't remember the exact price but I think it was less than $50 for 50. If you have a Hallmark near your pay them a visit and see if they have Carlson Craft. You might even get a few other ideas from the books.
    April 2011 November Siggy: Venue Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    chosen175chosen175 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think the reason people are telling you not to do it is that not everyone will plant the seeds, and you'll be just wasting your money.  I, for one, live in an apartment and we're not allowed to have any sort of flower pot, etc outside.  And inside just doesn't get enough light to grow anything.  Plus, think of the elderly, people who work a lot and don't have time to care for plants, etc.  I know in my family, someone gave out seeded paper in the shape of a heart with a cute lil tag attached and only about 10% of the guests took it home. 

We're doing a garden-themed wedding and I'm going to DIY something similar to this:  http://www.etsy.com/listing/45299654/100-personalized-bird-seed-heart-wedding?ref=sr_list_1&ga_search_query=bird+seed+favors&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_page=&includes[0]=tags&includes[1]=title

The price isn't bad, but I know I can DIY them for less and, well, I'm cheap.  lol
  • Options
    melissamc2melissamc2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Favors are not mandatory, nor should anyone "expect" anything.  Your idea sounds wonderful for your ceremony.  If you and your finace are happy with it, then I say go with it!
    10-10-10
  • Options
    edited December 2011

i think this is a GEAT ides especially being and outdoor wedding. DO IT !

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I think that is a great idea! Very creative. If people are going to make a big deal out of it, then they can just stay home. (:
    I applaud you for your creativity.
  • Options
    bbyckesbbyckes member
    First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Unortunately, I'd be in the camp that would think it was a very cute idea, but not very practical.  Do what you like though.  You can't please everyone. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I pondered the idea of favors as well and was torn between even having them since I didn't want to hand out a mug with our names on it that would only collect dust in someone's cupboard. My Finace and I met on the airplane, so we finally decided to hand out bags of peanuts (buying the peanuts in bulk and putting them into bags ourselves). We then decided to forgo anything bigger and donated money to my friend's non-profit.

Favors entirely depend on you and honestly, practicality is a big deal. If you do seeds, you can place only a few on each table. It saves money, but also isn't wasteful as many people probably won't take homee the favors. Snacks and candy is always a good idea as people are looking to snack before dinner - especially at weddings - and (most) everyone loves sweets :)

Your ideas are great. I definitely wouldn't think they are a "crappy" favor.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

We are also doing an outdoor wedding. We are giving tree seedlings which aren't too expensive; about $1 a piece, as the favor and wrapping them in toule with the wedding colors.

I believe that we are getting them through the green world project. Just another option. But I agree with others, a favor shouldn't be expected and its just a nice thank you. Half the time people don't even take them.

• Options
    kee80kee80 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm doing personalized matchbooks for out favors.  I think they're a fun favor that people will actually find a use for.  Your ideas sound really cute, not tacky!
  • Options
    AlbireoAlbireo member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Seeds are cute. People who save things will save them without trouble, and other people will use them.

The only thing bugging me about seeds is that you should make sure you don't get anything invasive, in case they get planted. Some wildflowers taken from one part of the world/country to another become invasive where they're planted.

If they're seeds for something really safe that's already everywhere, you're good. :)
  • Options
    redheadedrayredheadedray member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you want an outdoor theme and you like seeds hav eyou thought about little bird seed hanging ornaments? I think they're kinda cute, you can make them and it should be pretty cheap, and I would htink most people wouldn't mind hanging them in their back yard.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards