Favors

CD Favor

K I know my wedding is far, far away but I was just wondering about people's opinion on this....

I'm a singer and I will be recording, along with other family members who will be playing instruments, a song to use for my first dance (yes I know some think it's strange that I'll be dancing to a song I sing myself but whatever.. I like it).  It's a cover of a cover song, not an original.

Anyway, a friend suggested that I make copies of this to use as my favor (I already checked with the recording company who is a friend of mine and she's fine with the idea)

FI would rather donate the money to a charity (probably heart and stroke since his uncle who he was close to passed away last year from a heart attack and I have an uncle who had a heart attack last year as well or other possibilities are Alzheimers since my grandmother passed away with the disease and both his grandmothers have it or cancer since my mother is a breast cancer survivor as well and it touches a lot of our guests) and print up cards with a link to download the song for free online (along with a few CDs for people who don't use internet)

Is this really weird? 

We're trying to get away from the whole junk nobody uses or needs favors and don't really want to give out edibles since we're having plenty of food, plus desserts, cake and a midnight snack... but we still want to do something since I've never been to a wedding without a favor and I don't think it will go over well where I'm from.

Please tell me your opinions.

Re: CD Favor

• trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You're not going to like my answer, I suspect.

The CD of you singing sounds pretty AW-ish to me.  It just seems like on a day that's already all about you and your FI, it's over the top.

And donations, while lovely things, are not in any way favors to your guests.  My standard answer re:  "donation favors":

Make your donation.  I believe in donations.  I make them myself.  I think they're a good thing to do.

But don't pretend that they're a favor to your guests.  Because they're not.  They're a favor to the organization, and to you.  You're taking the money you'd spend on a little something for your guests and giving it to someone else.  How do you figure that's a favor for your guests?

Honestly, I don't need a favor.  I don't really want a favor.  You're already giving me food, drinks, entertainment.  I don't need a matchbook or m&ms (although I LOVE m&ms) as a thank you.

But please don't in any, way, shape or form think that giving $$ to a charity is somehow doing something for me.

I'd liken it to a guest coming to your wedding and giving you a card that says "In honor of your marriage, I have given a donation to the "eastern micronesia tsunami prevention fund".  It may be important to your guest, but it probably doesn't mean anything to you.  So it's not really a gift for you, is it?

"Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_cd-favor?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:27Discussion:bec7e75c-ba7d-45dd-bdf1-42c755f89253Post:b3409836-629a-475e-bb0e-74f6562e0679">CD Favor</a>:
    [QUOTE]K I know my wedding is far, far away but I was just wondering about people's opinion on this.... I'm a singer and I will be recording, along with other family members who will be playing instruments, a song to use for my first dance (yes I know some think it's strange that I'll be dancing to a song I sing myself but whatever.. I like it).  It's a cover of a cover song, not an original. Anyway, a friend suggested that I make copies of this to use as my favor (I already checked with the recording company who is a friend of mine and she's fine with the idea) FI would rather donate the money to a charity (probably heart and stroke since his uncle who he was close to passed away last year from a heart attack and I have an uncle who had a heart attack last year as well or other possibilities are Alzheimers since my grandmother passed away with the disease and both his grandmothers have it or cancer since my mother is a breast cancer survivor as well and it touches a lot of our guests) and print up cards with a link to download the song for free online (along with a few CDs for people who don't use internet) Is this really weird?   <strong>We're trying to get away from the whole junk nobody uses or needs</strong> favors and don't really want to give out edibles since we're having plenty of food, plus desserts, cake and a midnight snack... but we still want to do something since I've never been to a wedding without a favor and I don't think it will go over well where I'm from. Please tell me your opinions.
    Posted by superheroprincess[/QUOTE]

Then don't do this one.  If you scroll down towards the bottom of this page, you'll see a whole thread on CDs as wedding favors.  Most people either leave them or trash them immediately afterwards. 

EDIT: and ditto Trix on the donation "favor."  There is also a lively thread further down or maybe on the next page about this subject also.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • edited December 2011
    The previous  thread is completely different IMO.  My CD would be a song I've recorded myself and it's more personal than CD of mixed songs from other artists which I agree is not something I would ever use.  This is why I've made a different post.

Also for a donation favor our plan wasn't to say we've donated in your honor but more of in lieu of favors we've donated to this charity instead (like instead of buying junk you'll never use we decided to put our money towards something more important).  Most people attending will have been touched by someone who has had the diseases I've mentioned since our guests are 90% family and the rest are really close friends.

I think favors are useless and I would rather not have any at all, but where I'm from I think people would be insulted and I would feel weird not doing something at least!  Do any of you have any other ideas for favors?

Trix.. In the result of sounding like a moron, I have no idea what AW-ish means Embarassed  LOL!

Thanks for your imput... greatly appreciated!

Edit: to clarify donation it wouldn't be as if I'm giving a gift to the guest.. but more like instead of buying a gift we donated to a charity that is close to our hearts.
  • twilight.rosetwilight.rose member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    AW = attention whore

As far as the CD goes, personal or not, I would not take it with me. I have no desire to own one more CD that I won't listen to, and will end up in a drawer or in the glovebox. I rarely take non-edible wedding favors (and if I do, they generally end up in the trash within a couple of months.)

People likely won't be insulted, or even notice, if you don't have favors. However, if you do decide to do them, stick with something edible. We did a candy bar, and I've been to weddings recently that had truffles customized in the couple's colors, and another with lovely miniature cupcakes from a local bakery.
    **i'm a little drunk on you and high on summertime** Photobucket
  • mysticlmysticl member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    We are opting not to do favors. 

I think you recording the first dance song is kinda cool but not sure everyone would actually want a copy.  While I like the CD I got as a wedding favor (bride and I are the same age with simular music taste) I'm not sure I'd want one with one track on it and I may not like the song you picked. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • bbyckesbbyckes member
    First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Here's my face reading this thread:
    I imagine most would have a similar reaction.  You can try to talk yourself into believing that this is some "personal" gift to your guests, but in fact, it is not.  It is you attention-seeking.  BIG.TIME.
  • CA2MT4EveRCA2MT4EveR member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    bby- you made me Laugh Out Loud! I love it.

OP, as far as the cover song, I can't stand covers unless I am at a bar with a drink in my hand and the band is playing a song.  I agree with PPs
      If someone wants a copy of it, they will ask you for it.

As many other users will say: Donations, in any way, shape, or form are NOT a favor, or in lieu of favors, or whatever you want to call it.  Don't not give me something then tell me what I didn't get.  And you never know who you may offend with this donation- yes, it CAN happen.
    dont make ur password so easy. gbck2CA2 hahahaha
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for clarifying Twilight.Rose... I looked in the index and could not for the life of me figure out what AW-ish meant.

Thanks for your imput... I had no idea anyone would think that about the CD and it was definitely not my intention to seem AW-ish at all.  Actually a few friends are the ones who suggested it as being a good idea and I definitely wouldn't think that someone who gave this as a favor was AW-ish so  I appreciate you girls giving me another perspective.

bbyckes  I can assure you that  I 'm not "in fact"  "attention-seeking.  BIG.TIME."    I do appreciate your advice and will take it into consideration.

Would giving people the option to download it be just as bad?  I'm sure there will be some people who will want a copy since my family and friends are very supportive of me and my singing and are always asking for copies of my recordings.

First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Again, I think if they want it, they will ask.  Don't push it on anyone to where they feel obligated to do it.
  • edited December 2011
    so my fiance and I make our entire living as musicians, we were asked if we were singing for our wedding and we were like "why in the world would we want to do that?" Personally I think performing at your wedding would be a little much for me, but that's me, however handing out a cd of you singing as a favor, is kinda weird, are they your guests or your fans??
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you for your comment dizzinea, I've actually seen a few people sing at their own wedding and nobody thought it was too much (many got emotional and loved it) .  My friend who is a music teacher with a vocal degree and who is helping with my recording is recording her own wedding song and 2 other friends of mine recorded their own first dance song as well (one actually did it after I told her it was what I was doing).

...4ever - how would putting it on a card (along with a website to download pictures taken) saying something like if you wish to download the song you can do so at this website.... be forcing it on people or making them feel obligated? 

Thank you everyone for your advice, I won't be giving away CDs as a favor.

First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If it is a subtle "song can be downloaded here" thing that people can do or not do, I guess that is ok if left on the tables, but I still feel like people would ask if they wanted it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards