Favors

Favor Ideas?

i am sooooo not creative at all while trying to plan what do for the favors.

i've been in and to several weddings over the last couple of years and i have seen several different things done. however, i don't want to do what "everybody else has already done."

so i was kinda thinking about combining ideas.

when my ex-best friend's mother remarried when we were in high school, they gave away a mix CD at the wedding. on the CD it was different songs that kinda went with her mom & stepdad, like their favorites. like, one of the songs was the song they first danced to when they met at a mutual friend's wedding a few years prior. another was the song that was played when her mom walked down the isle at their wedding, their first dance and so forth. almost like a soundtrack of their lives together. i was thinking about doing something like that. my fiance suggested giving away bottles of wine, but i feel like everybody does that. i also thought about like the everyday practical stuff too, but i feel like everybody gives away candy and matches at their weddings.. any ideas? it was be greatly appreciated :)
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Favor Ideas?

• JaxInBlueJaxInBlue member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2012
    In general, an edible or consummable favor is going to best - more likely guests will enjoy it, take it with them, or that someone won't mind taking the "extras" if people do not want them.  If you are considering doing a CD, you might want to take an informal poll of friends and family to see if they still use them.  (Honestly, between music on computers, iPods, and online programs, we don't really anymore.)

You should think a little more about what tells your story.  Do you and your FI have a favorite coffee shop?  You could give away small bags of coffe.  Do you have a favorite cookie at a local bakery? You could share it with your guests.  You could think about spice rubs, jams or jellies, barbeque sauce, soda or wine with a personalized label.

I wouldn't stress out about favors.  They aren't required and if you skip them if you don't find an idea you like.
    Anniversary

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_favor-ideas-15?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:27Discussion:c36da3aa-3cb5-4a89-ad74-54e803bc1565Post:cdec9277-591f-459d-911e-4c0d659baaaf">Re: Favor Ideas?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In general, an edible or consummable favor is going to best - more likely guests will enjoy it, take it with them, or that someone won't mind taking the "extras" if people do not want them.  If you are considering doing a CD, you might want to take an informal poll of friends and family to see if they still use them.  (Honestly, between music on computers, iPods, and online programs, we don't really anymore.) You should think a little more about what tells your story.  Do you and your FI have a favorite coffee shop?  You could give away small bags of coffe.  Do you have a favorite cookie at a local bakery? You could share it with your guests.  You could think about spice rubs, jams or jellies, barbeque sauce, soda or wine with a personalized label. I wouldn't stress out about favors.  They aren't required and if you skip them if you don't find an idea you like.
    Posted by JaclyneD[/QUOTE]

Ditto all of this. Edible is always best.

I don't remember the favors at weddings, generally speaking. But I do remember one...it was a gourmet chocolate dipped Oreo from a local candy maker in a little favor box. It was so tasty, and is something I'd never buy for myself.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_favor-ideas-15?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:27Discussion:c36da3aa-3cb5-4a89-ad74-54e803bc1565Post:cdec9277-591f-459d-911e-4c0d659baaaf">Re: Favor Ideas?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In general, an edible or consummable favor is going to best - more likely guests will enjoy it, take it with them, or that someone won't mind taking the "extras" if people do not want them.  If you are considering doing a CD, you might want to take an informal poll of friends and family to see if they still use them.  (Honestly, between music on computers, iPods, and online programs, we don't really anymore.) You should think a little more about what tells your story.  Do you and your FI have a favorite coffee shop?  You could give away small bags of coffe.  Do you have a favorite cookie at a local bakery? You could share it with your guests.  You could think about spice rubs, jams or jellies, barbeque sauce, soda or wine with a personalized label. I wouldn't stress out about favors.  They aren't required and if you skip them if you don't find an idea you like.
    Posted by JaclyneD[/QUOTE]

<font color="#3366ff">i never thought about jams/jelly and spice rubs & such! that's a really good idea. i'll talk to my Fi about it. thanks!  i did think about possibly skipping it. and my sister even suggested doing like a small gift card to like starbucks or something (like $5 towards their drink). </font>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_favor-ideas-15?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:27Discussion:c36da3aa-3cb5-4a89-ad74-54e803bc1565Post:0e3f04f0-5bbc-491f-a7bc-155e5629d0be">Re: Favor Ideas?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Favor Ideas? : Ditto all of this. Edible is always best. I don't remember the favors at weddings, generally speaking. But I do remember one...it was a gourmet chocolate dipped Oreo from a local candy maker in a little favor box. It was so tasty, and is something I'd never buy for myself.
    Posted by itzMS[/QUOTE]

<font color="#3366ff">i know people usually forget favors. i just didn't wanna seem rude lol. like i told my other response, we considered even maybe a small giftcard to starbucks (like $5 towards their drink)..

thanks ladies!</font>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_favor-ideas-15?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:27Discussion:c36da3aa-3cb5-4a89-ad74-54e803bc1565Post:d8a40a6a-0197-4870-9d97-044659d3399d">Re: Favor Ideas?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Favor Ideas? : i know people usually forget favors. i just didn't wanna seem rude lol. like i told my other response, we considered even maybe <strong>a small giftcard to starbucks (like $5 towards their drink)</strong>.. thanks ladies!
    Posted by MrsJoshuaParker4[/QUOTE]

I like the edible favors, but I think a gift card is inappropriate and generic. Your favors don't have to be crazy unique, but it shows a bit more thought than that. What kind of wedding are you having? Is it an evening wedding? and is there a day-after brunch? I like the candy bar/ goodie bars. Set up some boxes for people to take stuff home. Also, try putting out breakfast pastry for the morning after.
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_favor-ideas-15?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:27Discussion:c36da3aa-3cb5-4a89-ad74-54e803bc1565Post:fa5adff6-85ed-4ab5-9dc6-8aefe87eb08d">Re: Favor Ideas?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Favor Ideas? : I like the edible favors, but I think a gift card is inappropriate and generic. Your favors don't have to be crazy unique, but it shows a bit more thought than that. What kind of wedding are you having? Is it an evening wedding? and is there a day-after brunch? I like the candy bar/ goodie bars. Set up some boxes for people to take stuff home. Also, try putting out breakfast pastry for the morning after.
    Posted by sydaries[/QUOTE]

<font color="#3366ff">i like the thought of edible favors. but the question would be what to get? neither one of us are big on candies or sweets for that matter. we are having an evening wedding (Friday evening at 5 PM) and it's not tuxedo formal. there is not day-after brunch due to lack of time. (we're getting married on Friday, the 11th and my cousin decided to be a smart a-- and planned her wedding for the 13th-that Sunday, so my mom's whole side of the family needs to be back in NY by Saturday evening to get to her wedding Sunday afternoon.) i also know that not everybody is staying at the resort we're getting married at except for the people we already decided we were paying for (his mom & her FI, his dad & stepmom, his grandmother, great aunt, two sisters, two brother-in-laws, bridal party and a few of my relatives from Lousiana & Missisippi), ao the morning after idea will not work.

thank you for the idea though. </font>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I wouldn't do the CD.........I have CD's I've purchased, and really only listen to the Xmas ones during the holidays at my desk.

Edible is always good. A candy bar with a selection & bags is good. We had late night treats, an ice cream sundae bar with various toppings, as well as sliders & fries even later. We also did monogrammed glass coasters with the guest's last name monogram, I've seen these later at family member's homes, so I know they appreciated them. We gave 2 per person, so 4 per couple.

In lieu of favors, consider a gourmet coffee station with Dunkin Donut holes "to go" at the end of the evening. I've seen and heard about that type of "send off" instead of hard favors you walk out with.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards