Favors
Options

Poll: CD's for Favors?

My fiance and I are thinking about burning CDs as wedding favors.  He's really good at song selections and I'm talented graphically so we figured we could really customize them to our wedding; making CD labels or jewel case covers.  His sister did them for her wedding, and both is cousins did them as well, so now it's almost become a family tradition as we are the last to get married.  I want something guests will use and enjoy but I'm not 100% sold on the CD idea.  Is that too 'old fashion' now that everyone has iTunes?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Poll: CD's for Favors?

• Options
    fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think the challenge with these is that, like many favors, it's going to be hard to create something that will appeal to everyone.  Music is very subjective and everyone has different tastes. 

I thought about it briefly early on but when I mentioned it to my DH (who is a musician) he immediately nixed it.
  • Options
    tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Every time I've received this as a favor, it's been tossed in the trash immediately.  The only time I've seen someone propose this idea and thought it was a good one was where the  wedding was in NYC and all of the songs would be about New York.  Then again, I love the city, others may not.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • Options
    mgietler76mgietler76 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I personally don't use CD's. Ever. I download to my phone and then bluetooth to my car or plug into a speaker, so I never have a need for a CD, and your taste might not be my taste.
  • Options
    trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Your FI may be "really good at song selections", but for whom?  Chances are very good that he won't choose music that will appeal to everyone, much less most people.

I vote no to CD favors.  I am given CD mixes every year as Christmas gifts.  I've never kept a single one.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    jeanna85jeanna85 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I haven't used  a CD in years. Even my 60-something yr old parents use exclusively itunes and hook up their ipod in the car.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Call me old fashioned, but I love hearing new bands.  And although I DO HAVE I tunes and DO USE IT... My husband and I still have (and regularly purchase new) CDs.  Worried that your mix won't fit everyone's taste?  They will think of you when they listen to it (maybe only twice), but from then on those songs on the radio, pandora, whatever will make them think of your wedding and smile.  Maybe add a tiny treat and a tag that says something like: "Treats for now and later.  Enjoy the candy now and the music always." 
  • Options
    mysticlmysticl member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    A friend of mine did this and I loved all the songs on it.  However, my parents were also at that wedding.  They didn't like any of the songs and trashed it. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_poll-cds-favors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:27Discussion:d5d9c1ec-1204-4097-83c2-6c3e11e508c2Post:c6eaf80e-7cbf-4762-a1cc-f4013ffe82df">Re: Poll: CD's for Favors?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Call me old fashioned, but I love hearing new bands.  And although I DO HAVE I tunes and DO USE IT... My husband and I still have (and regularly purchase new) CDs.  Worried that your mix won't fit everyone's taste?  They will think of you when they listen to it (maybe only twice), but from then on those songs on the radio, pandora, whatever will make them think of your wedding and smile.  Maybe add a tiny treat and a tag that says something like: "Treats for now and later.  Enjoy the candy now and the music always." 
    Posted by Sarah Merrill[/QUOTE]
    Great idea. Thanks. :) My thoughts were, yes, most people don't use CDs anymore but even for the wedding I was at this October where they gave out CDs, as soon as I got home I imported it into my iTunes.  I may not listen to the physical CD but the music was fun to share.  And as far as everyones tastes, I think picking ANY favor you're going to run into that situation.  Some people don't like chocolate, some people don't like sented candles, etc.  I appreciate everyone's input though and I guess time will tell as we get closer what we actually do.  I like the candy with the CD idea though.  *Ding!* :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_poll-cds-favors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:27Discussion:d5d9c1ec-1204-4097-83c2-6c3e11e508c2Post:c85d4fe0-1abf-4cde-8aef-48807eeb5175">Re: Poll: CD's for Favors?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Every time I've received this as a favor, it's been tossed in the trash immediately.  The only time I've seen someone propose this idea and thought it was a good one was where the  wedding was in NYC and all of the songs would be about New York.  Then again, I love the city, others may not.
    Posted by tldh[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Ditto that - every time I've received one it's been generic love songs that most people either already have or hate and don't wish to have.  I'm not sure you can find a mix that everyone will like.

</div>
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I say no to the CD favor.  A sister of my BFF got married about 6 or 7 years ago.  They gave CDs as favors...with pretty well known songs.  I listened to it once, didn't hear anything I liked and then threw it away.  I can't even tell you what songs were on it so even if I were to hear one of the songs on the radio, I most definitely would not think of them or their wedding day.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Honestly choices in music are extremely personal...Your future hubby can't possibly find a mix that will appeal to absolutely everyone and your CDs will likely end up in the landfill...Have you considered something more universal like a donation to a favorite charity or cute food items ranging from fortune cookies to small bottles of wine or olive oil (the olive oil actually has a tag on it that says Olive You, cheesy I know, but most ppl will use it)
  • Options
    trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_poll-cds-favors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:27Discussion:d5d9c1ec-1204-4097-83c2-6c3e11e508c2Post:00232eb2-28c0-445b-9940-966f12440433">Re: Poll: CD's for Favors?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Honestly choices in music are extremely personal...Your future hubby can't possibly find a mix that will appeal to absolutely everyone and your CDs will likely end up in the landfill...Have you considered something more universal like <strong>a donation to a favorite charity</strong> or cute food items ranging from fortune cookies to small bottles of wine or olive oil (the olive oil actually has a tag on it that says Olive You, cheesy I know, but most ppl will use it)
    Posted by Miracle Cat[/QUOTE]

please see the sticky above.  donations to charity, while a good thing, are not a favor for guests.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    aroosgabbyaroosgabby member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i like the idea, and i am planning on doing the same for my wedding, all arabic songs.
  • Options
    hcorr34hcorr34 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    FI and I are doing this for our favors.  We are huge music lovers and concert goers, and we plan to use songs that have some significance to us.  It was super inexpensive to buy everything to make them, all the music we already own, and it will be a project that we can do together.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    ambless26ambless26 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm deff using cd's as our wedding favors Wink
    The best is yet to come
  • Options
    hcorr34hcorr34 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_poll-cds-favors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:27Discussion:d5d9c1ec-1204-4097-83c2-6c3e11e508c2Post:78a0ab22-6ebd-445e-b683-6e97648fe2b4">Re: Poll: CD's for Favors?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I always love it when people say they are huge music lovers and are going to show that by ripping off their favorite artists...
    Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

I don't believe that we are ripping off anyone.  For starters, all of the songs we are using are live tracks that the artists allow to be taped at their shows and encourage the tapers to share FOR FREE.  The only rule is that you can't make money on it, which we are not, and they didn't make any money from these recordings, so we're not "ripping them off".  More than half the songs are from concerts that either I or we personally attended, giving it more meaning.   We're not using more than one song from an artist and plan to make sure people know who the artists are.  If even one person listens to the CD, likes a song or two from someone new to them and ends up going out and purchasing music from the artist, then we definitely haven't done anything to hurt the artist.  If our guests could all go online and legally download all of the music we are giving them, we're not doing anything wrong.

FI and I have actually put a considerable amount of thought into this.  I do not download free music, I do not copy CDs for friends, and even though I have the ability to listen to all of my music via Rhapsody for $15 a month, I STILL purchase music that I listen to regulary.  If I won't make a copy of a CD for a single friend, I surely wouldn't do it for 100. 

I always love it when people judge before they actually know the facts.
  • Options
    hcorr34hcorr34 member
    edited December 2011
    Blanket statement or not, it applied directly to what I posted and I have the right to defend myself.
  • Options
    ElleestJennElleestJenn member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_poll-cds-favors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:27Discussion:d5d9c1ec-1204-4097-83c2-6c3e11e508c2Post:37a98b01-11d8-4f19-a5ca-9eff6599835b">Re: Poll: CD's for Favors?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Personally, I don't care for it because of the legal aspects, but that's just me being nitpicky because I'm married to a writer.  I do still use CDs regularly, but I never burn stuff for other people because the idea of stealing from those artists really bugs me.
    Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

<div>I'm with you on this one Stage. You purchase a cd or song from the store or itunes for personal use not to burn and distribute. Many of the studios I dance at have to go through different companies and pay to use certain music in class or performances, but that's to play not to distribute. Its like a jukebox at bars, they still have to pay to have certain songs in their catalog. If you get caught your going to pay a hefty fine. Remember napster when it first came out and then the lawsuit against them. I knew two of the people who ended up being sued by the record companies because they download up to over a 2,000 songs on it and their family had to pay a great deal of money. </div>
    imageAnniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I, personally, love the CD idea. I think whether they use it or not is their decision as is ANY favor chosen.  I think a lot of favors are tacky.. BUT they were all somehow important to the bride and groom which is why they chose them and that's what matters.  Good luck :)

"Be kind to one another"- Ellen Degeneres
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Visit The Knot! image 76 Invited
    image 73 Attending
    image 3 Declined
    image 0 Unknown
    RSVP Date: April 29th, 2011
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards