Favors

Craft beer? what do you think?

the coolest wedding favor i have ever seen was at my cousins wedding. Her and her husband made their own wine. They went to a winery and smashed the grapes and botteled it, the whole deal. Then the made their own label. I just love how it was something they created together for their guests. It was also something everryone could enjoy and was very much like a gift to everyone, which is very much important to me. FI and I have been trying to think of something cool like that for our wedding too! At first we were thinking about creating our own blend of tea.. but now we are kind of iffy on that. So our new idea is making our own craft beer, and then botteling it in bottels like chimay. I'm not talking bud light beer i mean fancy beer with a hint of fruit or something. I want really honest oppinions about this. Our wedding isnt until 2012 but this is something that may take a very long time and thats why were thinking about it now.

Re: Craft beer? what do you think?

• JennasourusJennasourus member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

the coolest wedding favor i have ever seen was at my cousins wedding. Her and her husband made their own wine. They went to a winery and smashed the grapes and botteled it, the whole deal. Then the made their own label. I just love how it was something they created together for their guests. It was also something everryone could enjoy and was very much like a gift to everyone, which is very much important to me. FI and I have been trying to think of something cool like that for our wedding too! At first we were thinking about creating our own blend of tea.. but now we are kind of iffy on that. So our new idea is making our own craft beer, and then botteling it in bottels like chimay. I'm not talking bud light beer i mean fancy beer with a hint of fruit or something. I want really honest oppinions about this. Our wedding isnt until 2012 but this is something that may take a very long time and thats why were thinking about it now.
  • Meagan0528Meagan0528 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I LOVE this idea!!  I really wanted to do it for our favors, but it ended up being too expensive for our little budget.  Make sure you check with your reception venue about bringing in outside alcohol and/or glass before you order them.  Good luck! :)
    Josh + Meagan 06.12.10/Baby J 11.8.12
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us Lilypie First Birthday tickers PersonalMilestone
  • edited December 2011
    I heart beer so would be ecstatic about getting a beer favor. We have friends that brew their own beer and it is kind of tricky to learn how to do it right, but once you get the hang of it, its pretty easy. GL!

My new bff Gayle Forman!

?You can have your wishes, your plans, but at the end of the day, it's out of your control" - Gayle Forman
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Married Bio

Lizzie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)?????? image

• CA2MT4EveRCA2MT4EveR member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Is there a brewery in your area where you can go and do this? Or will you be doing it at home? I love beer, but I'm not sure I would want to drink homemade beer. (Though I do drink homemade liquor)
    dont make ur password so easy. gbck2CA2 hahahaha
  • JennasourusJennasourus member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

so happy to hear people don't think its an awful idea! So yeah the big thing is I'm not sure there is a brewery for us to do this, we just came up with the idea last night. We live in NY and i generally believe there's a place to do everything here. i know there are kits to do it and some say it turns out awesome and some say it turns out gross. If it came down to us having to do it ourselves.. I'm not sure I'm willing to take that on..
    I'm going to research this and then let you guys know my findings =) 
  • edited December 2011
    I live in Cincinnati and there are breweries here that do small batch "homemade" beers like this, so I'm sure there are places around NYC to do this.

My new bff Gayle Forman!

?You can have your wishes, your plans, but at the end of the day, it's out of your control" - Gayle Forman
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Married Bio

Lizzie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)?????? image

• Meagan0528Meagan0528 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My fiance brews his own beer at home, but since we are having 275 people that we have to provide favors for he didn't want to try to make that much beer and keep it chillled, etc. in our house until the wedding.  What area do you live in, I can ask him if he knows of any good breweries in your area if you would like?
    What a great favor!!
    Josh + Meagan 06.12.10/Baby J 11.8.12
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us Lilypie First Birthday tickers PersonalMilestone
  • xoxobxoxob member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it's a great idea!
  • klibertikliberti member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I make my own wine which we will be giving as favors- and my FI makes his own beer- we both use kits- normally we get them from mid west brewing supplies.  Shipping is expensive but they are the best prices online- def check to see if you have a local supply store.  I just starting working at a brew pub where they will give me ingrediants for free but the process will be a little bit more complicated so we haven't done it yet. 

Making your own beer and wine can be expensive if your only doing it for your weddin BUT if its a hobby you get into its pretty cost effective. 

Also- you shouldn't have the keep the beer cold- just don't let it get too warm.

Most of the time if beer doesn't come out well it's because the equiptment wasn't properly cleaned and sanitized (those are two different things in the brewing world)  OR because the yeast was bad...

The kits are pretty full proof and by far the EASIEST ways to go about it.

Oh BTW... if you do use kits- making wine is way easier then making beer...

Let me know if you have any questions!  I think it's an awesome idea!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards