Favors

fall wedding favor question

Does anyone have any cute, cheap ideas for our fall wedding….?  Also, does anyone know where I might find small burlap bags if I decide to do some type of candy in burlap bag w a ribbon? Thanks!
Amanda Anniversary BabyFetus Ticker

Re: fall wedding favor question

• I dislike when brides say they want "cheap" favor ideas. It just makes me cringe, as favors are not even required. If you want to give favors, provide ones your guests will enjoy, not cheap ones just because you feel you have to.

*steps down from soapbox*

Nevertheless, you can get burlap favor/gift bags on Ebay, Amazon, and Etsy. Also online stores like Papermart.

The fall colors of M&Ms and Hershey's kisses are great.

You could also do a small box with a few locally made chocolates/truffles for each guest.
  • Well I’m not made of money and have had a very short engagement, but I would like to provide our guests with a small token of appreciation…besides the meal I am providing at 35 dollars a head…which is pretty expensive in Michigan.  So, just because I wanted cheap doesn’t mean cheaply made, or not nice…it just means, a cost effective, simple gift, but thank you for your help.
    Amanda Anniversary BabyFetus Ticker
  • itzMSitzMS member
    2500 Comments 500 Love Its 5 Answers First Anniversary
    edited September 2012
    The reception itself is the thank you for attending. It sounds like you are providing a fantastic evening for your guests.

You'll find that a lot of brides spend a couple hundred dollars on favors, and end up with over half the guests not even taking/using the favor.

For budget brides, favors are one of the first things suggested to cut.
  • aro1589aro1589 member
    100 Comments Second Anniversary
    edited September 2012
    we are likely doing candy apples.  FI works in the produce department at a local grocery store and we priced them to be about $125 for 150 guests.  we are attaching a little tag with our name and wedding date, tied on with ribbon. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_fall-wedding-favor-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:27Discussion:e172cb6e-2543-4e4b-8ebf-e77af0883c95Post:6a89fabb-6e60-4ab7-a5d8-484004cd97dd">Re: fall wedding favor question</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>Well I’m not made of money and have had a very short engagement, but I would like to provide our guests with a small token of appreciation</strong>…besides the meal I am providing at 35 dollars a head…which is pretty expensive in Michigan.   So, just because I wanted cheap doesn’t mean cheaply made, or not nice…it just means, a cost effective, simple gift, but thank you for your help.
    Posted by elidore10062012[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I think the word you are looking for is "inexpensive."  "Cheap" implies that something is of poor quality or not worth the money that you pay for it.</div><div>
    </div><div>Also, what's inexpensive to one person may not be for another.   I think little burlap bags with candy is a good idea, but I would have to price burlap compared to paper or cellophane.  In fact, brown paper could look really cute for a fall wedding.

</div>
    DSC_9275
  • A friend of mine did little tweed bags (we bought tweed-y skirts from local thrift stores, cut them up and sewed simple bags) with fall-planting flower bulbs in them (tied shut with  twine threaded through a tag with the planting instructions and their favorite verse printed on it).  They bulbs were for tiny white daffodils/jonquils named "deux a deux".  I think they got the bulbs at Walmart, so it was very cost-effective.

It's a consumable idea (not something that will collect dust), and a sweet reminder of the couple when they come up each year.  I guess it kinda depends on your area -- we're semi-rural, so it worked (even for me, an apartment-dweller, since they're easily planted in pots).  If you are in the middle of a big city ... maybe not.

I loved the idea, loved receiving them, and was excited to do something similar (maybe in little muslin or burlap bags or tiny "tin" pails, had the budget allowed), but we had to push our date back from fall to spring.  :(
  • Chocolate covered pretzels.  Yum.  Anything edible really.
  • Don't find cheap ideas because marriage will occur only once so use best idea any have fun..
  • I'm having a fall wedding and I have a few ideas I'm tossing around. One being caramel apples and the other being candy corn in small mason jars.

A friend of mine is getting married this October and she is buying cider donuts in bulk a day or two before her wedding and putting them in celephane bags as her favor.

I love the burlap bag of candy idea tho!
  • We were going to do pumpkin seeds, but my FI has his heart set on mini whoopie pies. So whoopie pies it is.
  • I am also having a fall wedding, we are doing a placecard/favor combination of mini pumpkins with our guests names on them and a ribbon tied on the stem that will help the wait staff know what their food choice is.
  • Get some fall colored nylon bags and fill them with fall candy, halloween time candy is out now, and in good price! Since you live in MI I do as well I vote local product favors, faygo pop, bettermaid chips, or something else and wrap it in tulle in your wedding colors. Inexpensive and fun! Congrats!
  • We gave our guests smores.. they were really cute, we packaged them ourselves and very cost effective to buy the ingredients and bag them up. On top of that we also gave them personalized matchbooks to light their campfire with to make their smores. The matchbooks were very cute and cost effective as well. We got them from www.WeddingFavors.org. Check them out! http://www.weddingfavors.org/favors/the-perfect-match-personalized-heart-matchbooks
  • edited September 2012

If you schedule will allow for it, but think about doing your own chocolates. Many of the  craft stores have great chocolate molds & even make it super easy to do chocolate covered oreos w/wedding theme impression on top (like hearts or bells). I've seen them available at Michaels & Joann's.

I got extrememly lucky and of  my friends loves to do chocolates so she offered to do our favors for us as our wedding gift. We opted for heart shaped chocolate suckers. Then we ordered heart shaped stickers from Oriental Trading that say "Thank you for sharing our day with us" to put on the back of the plastic bag that is being put over each sucker to keep them fresh & clean.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards