Favors
Options

Charitable donation (family connected)

I know this topic has been done over and over on this board, but I want to get a few opinions. My FI's grandfather just passed away recently. He suffered from Alzheimers disease. I was thinking of doing a small favor, something edible like candy, and having a note that a donation is being made to the Alzheimer Foundation of America. We're not doing in in leui of favors, just a way to honor and remember FI's grandfather.

Re: Charitable donation (family connected)

• Options
    trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ditto cfasz.  Let me ask you this question:  would you be making a donation to Alzheimer's in your FI's grandfather's memory even if you weren't getting married?

Make the donation.  It's a nice thing to do.  But it really doesn't have a thing....not a single thing to do with the fact that you're getting married.  So why the need to announce it to guests?

Make the donation privately, just as you do any other charitable donation.  Don't announce it to your wedding guests.

Then give your guests the candy you were going to give them as their favor.  And have a lovely wedding.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with what pp's said.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Planning Bio
    Philly Siggy Challenge: The Ring!
  • Options
    McKenna2012McKenna2012 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Please skip the note.  When people want to associate donations with their wedding, for me it comes off as attention-seeking. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If you do the note, do it elsewhere and not in conjunction with the favors at all. 

A small single mention in the program or with a memorial candle to your grandfather at the guestbook table doesn't bother me personally, but it will bother some, so you just have to decide if it's worth that to you.  However, I think plastering an announcement about a donation on each favor or each table is completely attention-grabby to the point that it makes me feel like the Bride and Groom are trying to say "look what awesome people we are" and that pretty much overshadows any of the actual sentiment that you're wanting to convey.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    colstj1colstj1 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Agree with the PP's although it's nice to donate, I would skip announcing it.
  • Options
    slupt2002slupt2002 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm not sure why everyone is against making an announcement.  I'm planning on donating to the American Cancer Society in memory of my brother.  He would have been in the wedding if he were alive. He was a huge part of my life, and I want to honor him every way that I can. So I will have a memorial candle and probably mention him in the program. And I will announce the donation.  If the grandfather was important to you and your fiance, then do what you want to honor his memory. Don't worry about what other people think.
  • Options
    Dr. McNeelyDr. McNeely member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't think there is any problem with writing the note. I think its a great thing that you are donating and a good way to make people aware of an organization that you feel strongly about. It could even inspire them to donate or volunteer themselves. I don't think it sends a message of "look at me, I'm so great". Seeing that someone else donates time or money to charity only inspires others to do the same. I will be donating to the Polycystic Kidney Disease Foundation and leaving a card at the table in lieu of favors. My fiance's dad has PKD.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards