Flowers
Options

What to do?

Hi everyone I'm new to the knot and I need your help. The reception venue that I'm using works with a florist where they will give me 35 credit towards my centerpieces for the reception. However they seem to be alittle expensive on everything else like corsages altar flowers etc etc. Should I use 2 different florist or see if they can come down on the price. HELP!!!!!!!

Re: What to do?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I would definitely recommend shopping around for a different florist for the corsages, bouquets and anything else you might need. If you get a quote that is much less than the venue's florist, go with them. Or you can take the quote to the venue and use it in your negotiation (if they think they're going to lose your business, they might be more inclined to work with you on the price).

However, make sure to check the contracts- because some florists have clauses of exclusivity- which could prevent you from ordering different arrangements from different florists. This usually doesn't apply when the centerpieces are being provided by the venue (or the venue's florist).

Hope that helps!

http://www.kiwicabbage.com
  • Options
    Maggie0829Maggie0829 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    Well the extra costs on the corsages and bouquets is probably to make up for the $35 credit on the centerpieces.  Do you have to use the florist or are you allowed to look around?  IMO I wouldn't use two different florists.  Each florist has their own design style and they may use different wholesalers so the flowers may not match.  I would take the quote you got from the florist associated with your vendor and then get another quote or two from other florists and see what they can offer for the same type of designs.  This way you can decide who your favorite is and who will offer you the most bang for your buck.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with the above. Do you have to use the florist they give a credit for? I would shop around if you can and compare prices.

June 2012 December Siggy Challenge: Favorite Things about Christmas image
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Planning Bio Updated 10/24/2011
  • Options
    edited December 2011
     I agree with PPs- you should shop around and get quotes from a couple of florists, including the one your venue works with. If the florist your venue works with is more expensive overall or you just don't like their work, the credit may not be worth it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone I called the florist back to see if we can negotiate a better price for the ceremony flowers and bridal party flowers So well see what happens if not then I may have to look elsewhere. I'll keep you updated. By the way the quote right now is at 4500 for everything.
  • Options
    Aquarian342Aquarian342 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What is the budget for your wedding overall?  Just be careful, flowers add up quickly!  Also, if they try talking you into a bunch of extra centerpieces or vases, remember all the bouquets most likely come with vases so you can put some color on the head table without having to spend any extra :)  Also, ask your venue if they provide any complimentary decorations and see what fits with your theme before you put a deposit down w the florist.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The overall budget is about 28. But for flowers like 3000-3200. The venue does provide a silver candelabra but my colors are ivory and gold so that won't work  and ur right about the extra vases  thats one thing i will rmv to save money the shorter arrangments also have 3 gold goblets with Floating candles so I'll rmv those and the linens. My venue provides ivory ones so that's good. Still have heard back from the florist yet
  • Options
    Aquarian342Aquarian342 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well it's a good start to remove a couple things here and there.  Still, if you really want a good amount of decoration, it doesn't all have to be flowers (I'm sure you know that) but you can always go to craft stores and even places like Big Lots to find vases, containers, random things to put together decorations without having to purchase them from venders.  I will say though, if you want candles, don't skimp on the quality of them, because they could burn out very quickly and may damage items they're sitting on (advice from my venue coordinator).

As far as budget goes, hopefully they call you back.  You have to be very matter-of-fact about your budget (I know it's difficult to hold your own when people are selling you stuff for your wedding!) but you've gotta stick to what you can afford.  If it doesn't work with them or you cant get ahold of them right away, I think it would be wise to shop around; you definitely have some time to work with.  The most important advice to tell a good florist, in my opinion, is whether they're willing to show you examples of what you want with real flowers, spend at least 30 minutes with you, and let you speak about what you like and what floral pieces are most important to you.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank u thank u thank u. You all have been a big help. I still haven't heard back from her so I've scheduled a few appointments with other florist. I'll keep u all posted.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards