Flowers
Options

consultation fee?

Is it common for a florist to charge a consultation fee?

I just started contacting florists, my wedding is in a year and i want to get a vibe for what flowers are in season this time of year.  two places have gotten back to me so far and both are charging a consulation fee to meet with the person who designs wedding flowers. is this normal? i was planning on interviewing a couple of florists.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: consultation fee?

• Options
    future-mrsfuture-mrs member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It's not normal where I live...but every area might be different.  You might post this on  your local board also.
  • Options
    MidgetthMidgetth member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have never heard of this but like future-mrs said I would check on your local board because maybe this common in your area.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I always saw notes on florists websites or pamphlets stating "free consultation" and always thoguht that should be a given, not a complimentary service. So, out here, all I have found are free consultations, but the fact that they state they are free says to me some dont...id find one who doesn't charge.

• Options
    Catwoman708Catwoman708 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't think it's typical. 

I would imagine that if a florist charges a consultatino fee it's to weed out the casual inquiries that waste their time.  The fee would likely be put toward your total bill if you choose to go with that florist.  They likely charge because it takes a good portion of their time to meet with you, find out what you want, work up some designs, determine what flowers are needed, and work up some price estimates. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Check weddingwire.com to see if your florist is listed as a vendor.  There will be some questions on that site for each vendor such as if they charge a consultation fee or if it's free.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards