Flowers
Options

Not a fan of flowers...Do BMs really need boquets?

I am not a fan of flowers, the only flowers in my wedding are the bouquets and boutanniers. Here are my questions:
*Do bridesmaids need boquets or can they have a corsage or carry a fab purse?-I have a purse obsession but is there something else they could carry?

*If they do get bouquets what do you do with them?-wouldn't it look weird with the head table having the only flowers at the reception if I put them in vases?

Re: Not a fan of flowers...Do BMs really need boquets?

• Options
    CA2MT4EveRCA2MT4EveR member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    There are lots of people who only use "people" flowers at their weddings.  I don't think anyone will think twice about no flowers elsewhere.

As for the purses, are they all matchy? I am picky about my purses and may not like what the next person likes so it may be a waste- but, it could be cheaper than a bouquet. 

IMO, corsages are for prom and old ladies.
    dont make ur password so easy. gbck2CA2 hahahaha
  • Options
    sweetie89sweetie89 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

They would be clutches and different, I also hate matchy stuff, plus all of my BM have completely different tastes and attitudes. The only thing that would be the same it the color tones: pinks, ivory and golds.

I thought the same thing about corsages, but my mother is some how set on them having flowers...good thing I'm paying for it to avoid that argument.

• Options
    Catwoman708Catwoman708 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No they don't have to have bouquets. Actually many weddings I went to as a kid, the BMs just wore a corsage, and only the bride carried a bouquet. 

Many people feel awkward if they don't have something to hold while walking down the aisle.  So you might want to ask your BMs how they would feel, or ask them for suggestions other than flowers.

Some people use fans, a ribbon bouquet, pommanders, a single flower with ribbon, a small nosegay of lavender or herbes, feather or crystal bouquets, a rosary, or a bible or prayer book. 
  • Options
    CA2MT4EveRCA2MT4EveR member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    parasols are also options if you are outdoors.

There is a floral book out there somewhere that has flowers on purses.  Its kinda a fancy corsage on the purse.  I suppose if you went together and picked out the purse, or found one for a good price, you could pick one up for each.  A clutch can be used on different occasions than a purse.
    dont make ur password so easy. gbck2CA2 hahahaha
  • Options
    sweetie89sweetie89 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'll have to talk to them, the paricols are a good idea and I would do that but my wedding is in january in Minnesota.
  • Options
    angel2210angel2210 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My friend had her bridesmaids carry cute little clutches. I thought it was a neat idea.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    flyingmillyflyingmilly member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've seen very loosly tied callalillies on www.thecenterpieceplace.com and I thought these looked really nice its the 4th picture on the portfolio tab.  Not really foral but still gives the BM's somethign to hold...I hate 'awkward hands'
  • Options
    brilibby4brilibby4 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Someone on another board was having her BMs carry candles!  They dont have to carry flowers if you don't want them to...it is your wedding!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You don't have to have bouquets, but like someone else said it can look and feel awkward for someone to be walking down the aisle or just standing there at the altar with nothing to hold. If I had nothing to hold, I'd cross my arms, which would look bad!

I don't care for flowers either, so I just got some silk ones for my MOH to carry. Simple and I don't care what happens to it later. Clutches or candles are good ideas.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    For January the candle/lantern idea might rock! 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    we are cutting back on flowers too. My bridesmaid/moms have parasols that they will gently twirl as they walk down the aisle.
    I have seen pictures of the girls holding candles, the sand ceremony stuff, lanterns, and I  think clutches are even better of an idea. I think Corsages are kinda lame because the person is still not holding anything while they walk. I gave all the ladies necklaces, and I may use that as a reason to tell the moms that they don't get corsages because it is distracting, cuz I think my mom expects a corsage... and she will just have to deal. Yell
    I think it is perfectly fine to have just your bouquet of flowers infront of you at dinner and everybody else have candles or whatever centerpieces. The last wedding I was at had various greens mixed with grapes in large glass bowls for centerpeices, and I ate some of the grapes, and the bride got mad. haha. Tongue out
    imageimage
  • Options
    edited December 2011

flowers give hands something to do

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    156image 108image 48image RSVP Due 5/18
    New Bio
  • Options
    Ken&CassKen&Cass member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    How about a nice fan?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm not big on flowers either.  I've kept my bouquet very simply with 20-30 white calla lilies wrapped in silk with rhinestones wrapped around the stems.  My bridesmaids will each carry just one calla lily each.  I like it cause its elegant and more my taste.  The guys will all have boutonnieres.  I am doing the "mother" ceremony and we'll be giving small bouquets of garden roses to the moms and grandmothers.

I'm not having floral centerpieces....but feather plumes, crystals, white birth branches, candles and manzinita branches.  It's your wedding the decor and floral choices(or lack of them) should reflect you.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

We're having clutches for our BMs. I gave them the option which they liked, and out of 10, they all chose the same one! The BMs will walk down the aisle w/ the GMs, so it will give them more of a normal feel walking down the aisle. Since the BMs dresses are chartreuse, and they are all wearing navy heels, I am also adding a peacock feather to the clutch to tie in the colors.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't think BM's need to carry flowers.  Clutches are a super cute idea...so are candles.  Also - maybe they can carry a few sprigs of pine tree branches wrapped with a ribbon....or curly willow branches or a small "bouquet" of pine cones....you could also make a "pomander" of pinecones- put 4-5 on a string and have BM's carry them on their wrists.  If they don't carry anything - I would have them walk down with the groomsmen so they have something to do with their arms/hands.  Then once they get to the "altar" they can just fold their hands in front of them.  It's your wedding - have fun and do whatever is more you and your style!   Mom may fuss if she is expecting flowers - but it's your wedding and you are paying for it and you are the one who has to be happy with the day and the memories!  Plus you can still get her a corsage (pinned or wrist) - I'm giving my Mom and stepmother-in-law both corsages (to pin to their dress).  Have fun and congrats!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards