Flowers
Options

flower question...timeline

I am getting married in March and tried calling  a florist and she laughed and told me to call back 3 months before the wedding. Is this normal? I know I am a little bit early, but I want to try to figure out exactly how much I really need to budget for flowers. Am I crazy here?

Re: flower question...timeline

• Options
    squirrelly29squirrelly29 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I booked my florist in May 2009 for my Octber 2010 wedding. So no I dont think its too early especially if you want that florist definitley. Maybe try a few others?
  • Options
    Catwoman708Catwoman708 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'd think it's pretty typical, unless If they are a very in-demand florist that would need to book further in advance, especially if you are getting married in the height of "wedding season".

On one hand, I'd think that most florists would want to lock in your business, and find their attitude a little odd or dismissive.  That alone would make me want to keep looking. 

On the other hand, when you book something that far in advance, it often means twice the work for her.  She has to do a consultation, work up an order, and do price quotes now, when you place the initial order, then re-do it all closer to the wedding date.  Both to refresh her memory, and because floral prices change from week to week, and she may not be able to give you a firm price that far in advance. 

Plus, brides often change their minds or their plans several times in the course of planning.  She might have wanted to make sure you were truly a serious customer.
  • Options
    unplainjaneunplainjane member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    if you just want to get estimates to see how much you should budget i think you should try a couple of other florists so you can get an idea. my wedding is ages away and i contacted a florist and was able to give me an estimate. though some florists will work with your budget too if you have a specific amount you can spend.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Its a little bit early to start reserving them, but not unheard of and not to early to get prices for your budget!! Visit them instead of calling so you can get an idea of how much they will run. I booked my florist 8 months in advance just to get it over with and because August is a busy wedding month. March is an off season month but I'd still want to get a contract with them at least 6-8 months in advance.

Right now you are just under a year away, kinda rude that she laughed at you. Maybe check out some other places.
  • Options
    flamingtwig72flamingtwig72 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow, definitely go somewhere else. That's unprofessional and ridiculous behavior. We booked our florist over a year before the wedding...closer to a year and a half, if I remember correctly.
  • Options
    emmy82087emmy82087 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i called my florist to book her in july 2009, and i'm getting married june 2011. she told me to call her 6 months before the wedding so we can talk and she can give me an estimate. that is very normal!!
    Mrs. Emily Wolcott June 11, 2011 :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards