Flowers
Options

If the prices of flowers go up, I am responsible?

I recently met with a potential floirst to discuss my wedding flowers. In her contract it stated that if the prices of the flowers I choose go up for any reason I will be responsible for paying the higher price. The florist said she does this to protect herself from losing money, but my fiance and I are not comfortable with the position this could potentially put us in. We have to give a deposit so if the prices of flowers go way up we are either stuck paying that price or we lose our deposit and are out a florist. Is it common practice for florists to have such a clause in their contract? Has any one else run into this problem and if so what did you do about it? Your advice would be much appreciated.

Re: If the prices of flowers go up, I am responsible?

• Options
    jagore08jagore08 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    As far as I know, this is common.  If the flowers you choose go up in price, you can always ask your florist (put it in the contract) to substitute for similar flowers at the same or lower price.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    mrandmrsbristmrandmrsbrist member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Check your contract.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    2010: 41 books, 2011: 31 books, 2012: 100 books
  • Options
    Magdala9Magdala9 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Is it common practice for florists to have such a clause in their contract?   Yes in our area (metro Boston)

Has any one else run into this problem and if so what did you do about it?  We requested two additions to the contract, email notification if the prices' increases by more than 5%  and the right to substitute flowers.   We had these written into the contract.   We were not trying to cheat our florist but did not want a 20% jump at the last minute.    We did have to explain that to the florist because she was ready to jump at the additional clauses.

We ended up not using either clause.  Prices for our flowers stayed consistent and there was no substitutions needed.   Part of the reason for this is that we used in season flowers.   I know of brides who used off-season flowers where the prices jumped significantly 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
      This is common practice. I'd ask your florist if in the event that the price would go past what you negotiated, that they substitute with another type of flower to keep the cost the same. You can give them a list of acceptable substitutions.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    this was very helpful! thanks everyone!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards