Flowers

How come the tips of the petals on my flowers are going brown?

The tips of my flower petals are going brown. They're in water and in a cool place. However, they are not in the fridge because I heard that if you place the flowers next to fruit and vegetables they die due to the release of ethylene. How can I stop this from occuring next time?
Definition of WEDDING 1: a marriage ceremony usually with its accompanying festivities : nuptials 2: an act, process, or instance of joining in close association 3: a wedding anniversary or its celebration! Hence a 2nd wedding forum isn't JUST for ppl getting married again! Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: How come the tips of the petals on my flowers are going brown?

• edited December 2011
    What kinds of flowers? And how long have you had them? Some flower tips naturally get brown. Like roses, and you just have to take those off. If we know what flowers you have that are turning and how long you have had them before they started to turn would really help.
  • ontytiggerontytigger member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The tips of your flowers will turn brown from a couple things. the natural oils in your body is one, everytime you touch them or put your nose onthem to smell them , this can cause browning. Also, freshness, if they are not really fresh an are not kept in the proper setting browning can occur.  Fruits & veggies DO give off ethyline gas but in small amounts from the fridge, if your flowers aren't going to be in there for more than 48 hours I would  try the fridge for your best bet
  • Brian'sbbgirlBrian'sbbgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    They were roses. The store owner goes to the flower market on Thursday and the wedding was for Saturday. So I have the flowers for 2 and 1/2 days. Thanks guys for responding so quickly and thoroughly.
    Definition of WEDDING 1: a marriage ceremony usually with its accompanying festivities : nuptials 2: an act, process, or instance of joining in close association 3: a wedding anniversary or its celebration! Hence a 2nd wedding forum isn't JUST for ppl getting married again! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    The first layer of rose petals usually gets taken off right away. By some called packing petals. These few petals will always look crinkly or have brown tips. And should be taken off to allow the rose to open nicely. The rest of the petals should not brown in 2 days. A fresh rose should open and hold nicely for at least 5 days out of the cooler.
  • Catwoman708Catwoman708 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Prep the roses and get them in water as soon as you get them:

Have a bucket or container ready with a few inches of water, and floral preservative.  Trim the stems at an angle, about 1/2 an inch. 

Remove all the foliage/leaves below the water level.

If you want the roses to open up sooner, peel the outer petals off.  If you don't want them to open up, leave them.  (If the roses come tightly packaged, leave them in the packaging, but still trim the ends and get them into water -if you don't want them opened up as soon).

Keep them cool, out of drafts, out of sunlight.  If you can't avoid a draft, loosely/lightly cover them with lightweight plastic, like a dry cleaners bag.  Avoid handling or touching them as much as possible. 
  • Brian'sbbgirlBrian'sbbgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Thanks guys, you all rock! : )

Next time I will do everything that you have all suggested.

• edited December 2011
    Great Ikebana Tip:  Remove all the extra leaves you can, put the plant's survival energy into keeping the flower nice!  Then, submerge the stem and cut it under water, small bits at a time.  When you make a cut and bubbles don't pour out the end of the stem, you've reached the part of the stem that is still fully hyrdated and you can stick it in a vast or what-not.  Like a sponge, if there is already moisture in it the water can wick up to where it's needed with no re-hydrating delays.  In cut fowers, these "delays" sometimes mean the whole stem is dried out before the water's moved enough to matter, and you can honestly extend the life of a rose by nearly a week by cutting it this way.
    imageimageAnniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards