Flowers

Flowers VENT

I contacted my florist last week because the price of the girl's bouquets was out of this world. So we changed it to similar flowers that are much cheaper, still the same price... seriously?! Originally each girl had hydrangeas, they were $45 for each bouquet. Now It's 15 carnations for each girl in a bouquet for $45. I told the florist we needed to drop the price and that the girls didn't need a huge bouquet of flowers.
So I just called again she's like oh, I'll drop the price to $40 each and we can do 10 carnations in each. I have explained to her multiple times in the past few weeks that the girls don't want (and I don't want) large bouquets. This is not a huge formal wedding, we are doign things very laid back. End rant, thank you for reading.
Wedding Countdown Ticker May 2013 Brides Siggy Challenge: Cake image

Re: Flowers VENT

• You might be surprised though how small 10 carnations really is.  I did BM bouquets with 7 roses and I was actually a little disappointed in them and wished I had done them bigger.  I wouldn't consider 10 carnations a "large" bouquet really. 

Here were my BM bouquets (mine is in the middle).

• First, a bouquet of hydrangeas should not be the same price as a bouquet of carnations.  Hydrangeas are nicer and more expensive flowers then carnations.

Second, only 10 carnations will make a small bouquet.  If you want to see what this will look like all you need to do is go to your local food store, buy a bunch of carnations (there are usually 10 in a bunch) and hold them together tightly, this is the size of the bouquet.

IMO, I think $40 for 10 carnations is a lot.  Carnations usually sell retail for about $1.50 to $2 a stem, so the bouquet should really cost around $30 not $40.

How many stems of hydrangeas were there going to be in the bouquets originally?  To me, I would rather pay the extra $5 per bouquet to get the flowers you want then pay $5 less on flowers you don't want.

• TheSlowskysTheSlowskys member
    First Comment
    edited August 2012
    I don't think that price sounds outrageous at all. It sounds like you already chose this florist so why are you trying to get her to change her prices now? Edit: I mean for the hydrangeas.
  • The whole mess up on my part was that my wedding is mother's day weekend, they do one wedding that weekend and they require a $250 deposit. I put the money doen and told her my budget (which was $30/bouquet). I told her no hydrangeas in theirs when I first met with her, and between 6-8 carnations. This is a laid back wedding, nothing is fancy or formal. My girls are wearing sun dresses. I don't understand WHY she would've put hydrangeas in there to start and why my carnations cost that much. Definitely not giving them a good review when this is all over.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker May 2013 Brides Siggy Challenge: Cake image
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_flowers_flowers-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:28Discussion:34b20083-ca4a-4f39-9ff3-5f2f11994793Post:203bdcdd-0b1b-44c4-a8a5-5f80ccf80124">Re: Flowers VENT</a>:
    [QUOTE]The whole mess up on my part was that my wedding is mother's day weekend, they do one wedding that weekend and they require a $250 deposit. I put the money doen and told her my budget (which was $30/bouquet). I told her no hydrangeas in theirs when I first met with her, and between 6-8 carnations. This is a laid back wedding, nothing is fancy or formal. My girls are wearing sun dresses. I don't understand WHY she would've put hydrangeas in there to start and why my carnations cost that much. Definitely not giving them a good review when this is all over.
    Posted by Carson386[/QUOTE]

<div>Prices are likely higher for Mother's Day weekend, but there is no way carnations cost the same as hydrangeas.  In fact, carnations cost under a dollar.  A couple years ago, hydrangeas, at least here, were $6 stem.  Of course you are also paying to put them together. Do some research on costs.  Is there a flower market nearby? Then talk with your florist again and ask what she <em>can</em> do for your price.  Be open to an entirely different flower grouping, maybe spring flowers like daisies, iris, daffodils? Maybe, compromise, and save enough for $50 bouquets?</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_flowers_flowers-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:28Discussion:34b20083-ca4a-4f39-9ff3-5f2f11994793Post:203bdcdd-0b1b-44c4-a8a5-5f80ccf80124">Re: Flowers VENT</a>:
    [QUOTE]The whole mess up on my part was that my wedding is mother's day weekend, they do one wedding that weekend and they require a $250 deposit. I put the money doen and told her my budget (which was $30/bouquet). I told her no hydrangeas in theirs when I first met with her, and between 6-8 carnations. This is a laid back wedding, nothing is fancy or formal. My girls are wearing sun dresses. I don't understand WHY she would've put hydrangeas in there to start and why my carnations cost that much. Definitely not giving them a good review when this is all over.
    Posted by Carson386[/QUOTE]

Ok, so I am confused.  You didn't want hydrangeas but only wanted 6-8 carnations, then why was she planning on making all hydrangea bouquets if that is not what you requested.  And now why is she making your bouquets with 10 carnations when you really requested 6-8?

I think you really need to talk with your florist again face to face.  Tell her exactly what you want and what your budget is again.  Her not working within your budget is ridiculous and poor business.

Also, with your wedding being on mother's day, yes prices for flowers will be more.  Mother's Day is the number one day for flowers (v-day is second) so prices tend to increase by 3 times the normal cost.

• If you just want carnations honestly I would say to do them yourself.

Head to Sam's club, BJ's, Costco or produce junction if you have one and DIY that. If youre going simple you could get away with a small piece of ribbon tying them together
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards