Flowers
Options

Simple orchid centerpieces - prices?

My venue has a Zen-inspired look, and I'm trying to find a floral centerpiece that's elegant and simple.  I love orchids, and I like the look of something like this:

http://www.projectwedding.com/photo/browse?photo_to_show=205750

Or this:

http://www.projectwedding.com/photo/browse?photo_to_show=1780885

My question is twofold: a) are centerpieces like this super-expensive? and b) will orchids be any cheaper if I live in a tropical climate where they are readily grown?
Photobucket
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Simple orchid centerpieces - prices?

• Options
    Catwoman708Catwoman708 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You'll just need to check around on the prices.  2-3 orchid stems in a simple vase would probably cost about the same as a more elaborate mixed bouquet.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yeah orchids are not cheap! And the care is an issue.  Orchids are known for needing very particular care, so depending on when you order them you would really have to stay on top of that.
  • Options
    clearheavensclearheavens member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In general, orchids are a costly bloom.  But they also come in branches, so if your florist orders them from a nice place where the branches are all blooming nicely, then it can be expensive.  If your florist orders them from a not-so-nice place, then there will be blooms she cannot use, some that she can use.

As for the care, phalenopsis is usually much more delicate than cymbidium or dendrobium, so I don't recommend phalenopsis for boutonnieres where they tend to be crushed through hugs.  Also, the star shape of the dendrobium or cymbidium is also more interesting.

If you're hell bent on having orchids, what you can do is buy potted orchids for about $13 during a sale, and then display those instead.
    Follow Me on Pinterest

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    SmS84SmS84 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I made my centerpieces myself & used silk orchids.
    It took some time to put all them together, but I was very happy with how they all turned out, I got a lot of compliments and it was very affordable.
    Best of luck!

Shantel Santellana
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards