Flowers

Using fake flowers for centerpieces... Is it tacky?

I'm curious if it is thought to be tacky or untasteful to use fake flowers for your centerpieces instead of fresh flowers?

Thanks!

Re: Using fake flowers for centerpieces... Is it tacky?

• edited December 2011
    I think it sort of is... Just my opinion... But s wedding is like a perfect moment in time and fresh, perishable, beautiful flowers seem to say that so well to me... 

I would take one fresh perfect rose over a pile of made in China fakies anytime... 
    just my take on it!
  • edited December 2011
    Well I shall be the dissonant voice and say no it is not in the least. If you hung thongs on a beer bottle as a centerpiece, yes that is tacky. However, fake flowers can look perfectly lovely.They also allow you to DIY your centerpieces farther in advance though for the kind that don't look extremely cheap, it really isn't that much cheaper than real. Or if the cost is the issue there are lots of non-floral centerpiece ideas out there. For your consideration, these are silk flower bouquets and then the centerpiece. 
    My baby Buster. FI is jealous cause I love him more.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic >
  • flower_divaflower_diva member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    JMO......yes   because most are low quality=low cost and look cheap....but if that 's the look you are going for...oh well. I would rather see one fresh flower in a bud vase than a whole arangement of cheap silk.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_flowers_using-fake-flowers-centerpieces-tacky?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:28Discussion:38bb4a34-bd14-4a83-95d1-62e96ba2bb0fPost:30d40a74-3d2d-48df-a4c9-3bad3ad86a28">Re: Using fake flowers for centerpieces... Is it tacky?</a>:
    [QUOTE]JMO......yes   because most are <strong>low quality=low co</strong>st and look cheap....but if that 's the look you are going for...oh well. I would rather see one fresh flower in a bud vase than a whole arangement of cheap silk.
    Posted by flower_diva[/QUOTE]
    I don't know if you have priced silk flowers but there are some that are NOT cheap nor cheap looking. Yes there are some sad looking fake flowers but if you shop around there are a lot of ladies on here who have found perfectly lovely fake flowers. To each their own I guess. But IMHO a single flower in a bud vase makes me think of a cheap restaurant trying to be fancy. 
    My baby Buster. FI is jealous cause I love him more.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic >
  • MMRoberts11MMRoberts11 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I purchased most of my silk flowers online (afloral.com) and you can't even tell they are fake just by looking (or touching - for the cymbidium orchids).  Personally, I think if you get the real looking silk flowers you'll be fine.  Yes, guests will know if they touch it but is it really that big a deal if they know it's fake by touching it?

Also, if you get roses the also sell rose scent so you could spray the roses so they even smell real.
  • DanielleZZDanielleZZ member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am using all fake flowers for my wedding (bouquets, centerpieces, church) and have been very happy with how everything is coming together : )
    Trying to Conceive Ticker Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    I don't think they are tacky at all. I personally have to use all silks, because I am allergic to flowers. But, I think they look just as real. Using silks will also help you with planning, and can get them arranged before hand, and get them exactly how you want, and will be able to keep them forever. My FSIL used silks for her reception, and everyone one thought they were real!
  • MrsH8611MrsH8611 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    not tacking at all. Yes, if you buy them from a place where they look crappy sure... but a friends wedding had everything fake flowers. (i know a lot of flowers have meanings to them and not having real flowers is like sayin "well what else needs to be fake then" blah blah blah. A lot of people (myself included) cannot afford the amount of money it will cost to have the amount of gorgeous real flowers throughout the reception and ceremony. (just try and follow the tips like: in season flowers, and shop around! ( i saved 10 buck on each bouqet by taking out just 1 flower!!!

Work with the person doing them, or if they are DIY for you Test them out! Plus from the comment above about the spray... it works! That wedding i was talking about before did the same thing! She even got some yellow powder to cover some of the lilys "pistols" in the middle and they looked so real! (Oh sorry.. www.afloral.com was the place!) and for the record some of those are really pricey too!!!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards