Flowers
Options

How much time does florist consultation take?

We're getting married about 3 hours away from home. We're planning a trip next week to meet with several vendors but the schedule is getting packed pretty tight.  I just wondered about how long I should block off for florist meetings.

Re: How much time does florist consultation take?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    It varies a ton by florist...  I've been to two appointments so far: one was about 1.25 hours, and the other was 15 minutes.

However, the first appointment was a lot more thorough and when I couldn't picture something she gave me an example.  It was done after her store closed for the day, and we all went and sat at a table to discuss.  She took copious notes, including my comments about favourite flowers, and what would be acceptable as replacements if my flowers wouldn't be available.

The second one was rude/talked over me/didn't listen - and the appointment was done with me standing at the front desk while other customers were in the store.  Barely any notes were taken - and while I said I wanted low mixed purple flowers for my centrepieces, on her notes she put "purple hydrangea and some filler".  NOT getting my business, that's for sure!

I think the second one is the extreme... and probably the best plan would be to plan for about an hour, and when you make the appointment with them, ask how long they think it'll take.

M.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    All of mine took about an hour. I pretty much knew what I wanted though. To help know what colors you want. Bring some pictures of things you like and know exactly what you will need (5 Bm bouquets, 9 bouts, 2 aisle markers, 6 centerpieces, etc.)
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_flowers_much-time-florist-consultation?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:28Discussion:3f8d9dc7-34c9-4cf2-9fb3-a87137cf49e1Post:43e5c059-6c26-4f0d-a1bb-d79f64932b37">Re: How much time does florist consultation take?</a>:
    [QUOTE]The second one was rude/talked over me/didn't listen - and the appointment was done with me standing at the front desk while other customers were in the store.  Barely any notes were taken - and while I said I wanted low mixed purple flowers for my centrepieces, on her notes she put "purple hydrangea and some filler".  NOT getting my business, that's for sure! I think the second one is the extreme...
    Posted by MichelleS1717[/QUOTE]

The second one is extreme. I had one sort of like this. I really don't know how these people stay in business!!!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ours took about 2 hours. She was awesome so I booked her. She was Completely thorough and took the time to talk through exactly what I wanted. And they turned out perfect so I am glad she was so awesome at the consult! 
  • Options
    melissamc2melissamc2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Mine were all about an hour, each.  I came in with a "Floral Folder," though, which had very detailed photos of everything we want, all of the wedding party attire, and a complete list of how many of each item we require - as well as notes on what I was and was not willing to compromise to stay within our flower budget (which I stated at $350 LESS than we were REALLY willing to pay for flowers - just to see if I could shave a bit off by being very matter-of-fact about it all.  It worked).

10-10-10
  • Options
    Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011

So far, I've had consultations with two floral/decor vendors.  One took about an hour or so.  The other took about 20 minutes.

I provided the same info in advance to both vendors: list of items needed, budget, etc.  I chalk up the difference to one meeting in which the vendor really seemed to want to get a sense of the event overall, while the other zeroed in on items wanted and didn't seem to need/want much more info.

I have yet to make a decision and am seeking out yet a 3rd vendor.  We'll see.   I have TONS of time, so no great rush really.

Best of luck!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards