Flowers
Options

Help me Decide!!!

I'm trying to decide between 2 florists and am having the hardest time. Flowers are one of the more important things to me and I have a specific idea of what I want, so I'm being way more picky about this choice than I normally would be. My main requirements are that my arrangements be full and pretty big, and that they display all my colors well (lavender, light blue, and white)

So.... who would you pick?

Option #1
-More expensive (would be a bit over our budget)
-Not well-known on my local board but has tons of incredible reviews on other websites (weddingreports.com, weddingwire.com, etc)
-Doesn't have any bad reviews
-The large, full centerpieces that i'd like may be a bit smaller than what I originally wanted
-Will not provide a prototype/sample for free

Option #2
-Cheaper (by about $300-$500- would be right on budget)
-Recommended by 90% of the girls on my local board, but doesnt have as many good reviews on other websites
-Florist is able to do the large, full centerpieces I'm looking for (so the size I want will not be compromised)
-A couple things that concerned me: 1 girl said her flowers were wilted when they arrived (although it was 90 degrees that day and this girl still recommended the florist).  Another girl mentioned that one of the flowers in her arrangements were the wrong color (this is concerning to me because my whole wedding has been planned around my colors)
-Will provide a prototype/sample for free

Both florists will be using the same variety of flowers that I discussed with them. I've met with both of them and felt comfortable speaking with both. And I think that both of them had a good grasp of what my vision is.
imageAnniversary

Re: Help me Decide!!!

• Options
    mrandmrsbristmrandmrsbrist member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would personally go with option 2. Not provide a mock-up for free is stupid and is chancing things. The girls on these boards know what they're talking about if they reccommended option 2 (even though the colors were wrong and they flowers were wilted) this woman must be amazing. The other reason is the budget. You have a budget for a reason. Going over it defeats the purpose.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    2010: 41 books, 2011: 31 books, 2012: 100 books
  • Options
    leahkateleahkate member
    First Comment First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Why go over budget for arrangements that you don't want? And not being able to see them would be a deal breaker.
  • Options
    twilight.rosetwilight.rose member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ditto PPs. I would stick with option 2. I would be terrified if I were unable to see a mock-up ahead of time. Also, if you know you can get the size you want with the second florist, they seem the more logical choice.
    **i'm a little drunk on you and high on summertime** Photobucket
  • Options
    fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011

I think as long as you are able to do a mockup, going with option 2 should be fine.  (Just FYI--it's not that unusual for a florist to charge for a mockup.  I had to pay for mine.)  I had to choose between a high end and mid range florist.  I went with the mid range and my flowers were beautiful.  She had 100% good reviews however. 

• Options
    Maggie0829Maggie0829 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_flowers_decide?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:28Discussion:595e589c-889c-461c-a7ce-cbe5b8c06ed7Post:5ba9aa83-e017-4d56-ae23-945c27b9da98">Re: Help me Decide!!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think as long as you are able to do a mockup, going with option 2 should be fine.  <strong>(Just FYI--it's not that unusual for a florist to charge for a mockup.  I had to pay for mine.)</strong>  I had to choose between a high end and mid range florist.  I went with the mid range and my flowers were beautiful.  She had 100% good reviews however. 
    Posted by stephiehall[/QUOTE]

I was going to say that it seems like it would be more unusual for a florist to not charge for a mock-up.  If they are showing you what it is going to look like on the day of the wedding, those special order flowers will cost the florist some $$$.  I would probably go with option 2.  They are offering you what you want in the price you want it in.  How many bad reviews do they have compared to how many weddings they have done?  If that ratio is really small I am sure your flowers will be just want you want.  You also have to remember that some brides on the day of their wedding go a little crazy and if they see one flower that is not absolutely beautiful then that makes all the flowers crap :)

• Options
    edited December 2011
    WHHHHAAAATTT?

I could ask for a mock up??!

How did I not know about that?!  

What would I have mocked-up? My bouquet?  Just the regular centerpieces? What about the larger, focal piece centerpieces?

This blows my mind!  I feel like I've been living under a rock.
  • Options
    Maggie0829Maggie0829 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    You can ask your florist to make an example of whatever you want...just know that it will cost you some $$.  Some florists might offer, as a way to get you to hire them, a free trial of your centerpiece but this is not every florist.  Making mock-ups take time and money for the florist so they are going to expect some compensation...just know that they will probably give you a slight discount rather than charge you full-price for the mock-up.  If you want a mock-up done I would talk with your florist and ask how much it would cost.

• Options
    flower_divaflower_diva member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    just because yoou see the florist on TV doing mock up arrrangements doesn't mean that they do them for nothing. Most of those weddings have flower budgets of tens of thousands of dollars......I will do a mock up for you but I will charge yu the full price for it.
  • Options
    Mona8Mona8 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the help ladies!
    imageAnniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards