Flowers
Options

Florist Contract Question

Just about to sign the contract with our florist and there is a clause reading
"Should there be a drastic increase in market prices for specific flowers in excess of 10% at the time of you event, we will notify you before we order your flowers. At that time, you will have the option to agree to the additional cost or to select alternate flowers.. If prices increase drastically, you will be asked to sign an addendum to your proposal with the new prices listed and will be bound by the new price"
Here is my problem, everytime I turn around and remove something from the proposal, something increases, like the travel because of gas prices. It was my understanding that the idea of signing a contract is to lock in the prices. Have any of you had this in your contract? The wedding is less than 3 months away and I can't find a new florist. I just am afraid that a week before the wedding she is going to increase prices and charge me an arm and a leg.

Re: Florist Contract Question

• Options
    edited December 2011
    It seems like a pretty standard clause, but I definitely understand your concern. Why can't you find another florist?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    allisonkbyeallisonkbye member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    depends on florists, 2 of 3 i spoke to so far lock in the price regardless. 
  • Options
    allisonkbyeallisonkbye member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    maybe express your concern to them. maybe that's just customary for all their contracts because stuff can change a lot year-year but since ur event is only 3 months away maybe they can write it up without that clause for your case. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Your other option may be to cap the prices and allow the florist to make adjustments in the design to hold the numbers down. 
    With market driven pricing I think she is completely within her rights to add this to the contract.  

• Options
    edited December 2011
      I wouldn't worry about it. The florist quoted you a price based on what the cost of flowers are now. If there is some sort of disaster that limits the supply of a particular flower, the cost is going to skyrocket. Any rise in prices due to shipping costs or gas prices going up isn't going to raise the cost more than 10%, so you wouldn't have to pay more. Also, if the florist states that the cost has gone up more than 10% and wants to raise prices on you, you can always ask to see previous invoices and current invoices for the cost of flowers to be sure the cost really did increase.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards