Flowers
Options

Opinions?

I've been looking for inspiration for my bouquet and flowers for the wedding (August 2, 2014) and it just seems so overwhelming! I've been mulling around afew ideas about flowers but I'd like some extra input. 
 Just wondering what some of you would think about having carnations as the main flower? I've read afew articles and it seems like some florists aren't huge fans of them in weddings.

Re: Opinions?

• Options
    mcda04mcda04 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited November 2012
    I actually really like carnations and it's unusual for your florist to not recommend them. Maybe the color you want isn't available in August? IDK, i'm no flower expert but i do think they're really pretty.

• Options
    B2Z728B2Z728 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited November 2012
    I had to do a little image searching for some photos of mostly carnations used at weddings, but after looking at this article, I like the idea. 

I like how the carnations have that very fluffy look that peonies and cabbage roses have, but for a fraction of the price. Based on the article I looked at, I like them mixed with other flowers to create pretty differences in texture, as the first and fourth photo shows. Carnations come in such a wide range of colors so that seems to be great benefit too.

What reasons have you read that say florist don't like using them? I know my florist had us use carnations in our pomander balls instead of other flowers so that they would hold up better in the summer heat than other flowers do. 

Have you talked to any florists in person to discuss your ideas? After looking hundreds of photos, meeting with a florist really helped me understand what I wanted versus what could be accomplished. Understand that you have a very long time between now and your wedding and you will most likely change your mind at least once about you want. 
    Wedding Venue - Ramsey Golf & Country Club, NJ Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Photographer - Steve Belner, of Photovisions
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Check out my cooking blog, SERIF & SPICE!
    Our wedding has been featured on a wedding blog!

Michaela's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Carnations are my favorite flower and it's true that they just are not used much anymore. I don't know why, as the are beautiful, reasonable, and last. They used to be very fragrant, but that has been pretty much bred out of them. Because of this fragrance, they were never used for dining centerpieces. I recommend you talk to your florist some more. The picture above of the white candles and carnations is certainly bridal.
  • Options

Thats actually something I was wondering about since the articles didn't mention why the florists were against using carnations.

I'm hoping to meet up with my florist after school has died down a fair bit (studying and wedding plannin don't really work well together) but after the meeting some of the ideas I have should become more concrete.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_flowers_opinions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:28Discussion:61b116de-4844-433a-a09d-250ae764c818Post:d6ac5401-def4-49e5-bc79-fdd661696be6">Opinions?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've been looking for inspiration for my bouquet and flowers for the wedding (August 2, 2014) and it just seems so overwhelming! I've been mulling around afew ideas about flowers but I'd like some extra input.   Just wondering what some of you would think about having carnations as the main flower? I've read afew articles and it seems like some florists aren't huge fans of them in weddings.
    Posted by JoseD12[/QUOTE]

I found my ideas at Silk Flowers By Jean's Pinterest board, and Facebook page. Hope this helps, many sample bouquets, and wedding ideas, Kim

<u><font color="#0066cc"><a href="http://pinterest.com/kljowens68" rel="nofollow">http://pinterest.com/kljowens68</a></font></u>

<a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.facebook.com/pages/Silk-Flowers-By-Jean-Creating-One-of-a-Kind-Bridal-Wedding-Bouquets/123499677744891?ref=tn_tnmn#!/pages/Silk-Flowers-By-Jean-Creating-One-of-a-Kind-Bridal-Wedding-Bouquets/123499677744891"><u><font color="#0066cc">http://www.facebook.com/pages/Silk-Flowers-By-Jean-Creating-One-of-a-Kind-Bridal-Wedding-Bouquets/123499677744891?ref=tn_tnmn#!/pages/Silk-Flowers-By-Jean-Creating-One-of-a-Kind-Bridal-Wedding-Bouquets/123499677744891</font></u></a>
  • Options

The only carnation that I don't like are the red one's.  The red color is just not pretty.  The dark purple one's are gorgeous and not overly huge so they don't scream carnation.  I think when carnations are bunched together they make very nice centerpieces and bouquets.

• Options
    I used all carnations for my bouquet and centerpieces. I used white and the natural green, not the dyed green.  I also used mini carnations as part of the table decor and on the cake.
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards