Flowers

Tulips for a fall wedding?

My florist advised me to use tulips instead of another flower in my bouquets to keep costs low. Are tulips a relatively cheap flower? And are they weird to have in a fall wedding? I was told be some people that they are a spring flower and they never would have thought of tulips for a fall arrangment. 

Re: Tulips for a fall wedding?

• edited December 2011
    I actually wanted tulips for my fall wedding but was told by a coworker that used to work at a florist that they usually discouraged brides from using tulips as they are delicate and wilt easily. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • jagore08jagore08 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Tulips are generally a spring flower and I would think they would cost much more in the fall.  They are also a delicate flower and usually need a support (like a wire inside) to hold them up.  I would look into another flower.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Maggie0829Maggie0829 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    I used to work in a florist and even though they are more readily available in the spring we used to use them year round.  They do cost a bit more out of season which is odd that your florist told you that they would be cheaper then another type of flower.  Tulips do best in water and not in water soaked Oasis that florists might use for certain types of arrangements.  We never had a problem with them wilitng but tulips do continue to grow even after they are cut so if you are looking for a tight, round centerpiece tulips would not be the best choice since they will grow out of the arrangement.  Truthfully I would look into seasonal flowers...never let your florist pressure you into anything.

• edited December 2011
    I would be looking for another florist.  Nothing that this one has told you makes any sense.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • edited December 2011
    Roses are also a relatively inexpensive flower (I would imagine comparable to tulips out of season) and they're in season all year, durable, and would be great for fall.  Methinks your florist is cray cray. 
  • fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I did a mockup with tulips for my November wedding and they were droopy and sad looking.  I nixed them.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards