Flowers

Potted Flowers as Centerpieces?

I'm looking for a budget-friendly centerpieces for my reception tables, and my florist recommended potted flowers.  It's a June early-evening wedding at a country club venue, and I have a motif of floral illustrations on my invitations/other paper.  She said it can be really charming, and most couples give the flowers away to the person at the table with the closest birthday.

Thoughts?  Opinions?  Encouragements or dire warnings?

Re: Potted Flowers as Centerpieces?

• jagore08jagore08 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You should ask your florist to show you some mockups or pictures of this idea.  I think it could be really cute if done right.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • lark1011lark1011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am planning on doing that for an outdoor tent wedding in mid June in terra cotta pots with flowers the colors of the wedding mixed in with some herbs like rosemary.

It adds simplicity and keeping with the outdoor theme.
  • Catwoman708Catwoman708 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it's a really affordable and practical idea. 

Seasonal potted flowers are usually cheapest at your local plant nurseries.  They often come in, or sell decorative wrappers, or you can buy inexpensive containers to put them in. 

In June, the flowers that would probably be plentiful and under $10-20 each are daisies, daylilies, azaeleas, roses, hydrangeas, lavender, geraniums, marigolds, etc... Or you might could find mixed color pots with a variety of flowers. 
  • CA2MT4EveRCA2MT4EveR member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You can do it and it can look nice, but please do not "raffle" off the centerpieces.  If someone wants one, they can take it- or casually mention you are giving them away.  But sometimes when you give it to closest birthday, or something like that, people feel like they have to take them when they really don't want to and are often thrown away.
    dont make ur password so easy. gbck2CA2 hahahaha
  • edited December 2011
    At a very causal, informal wedding this could be done nicely.

Ask yourself, does this keep with the 'feel' of the day?
  • flower_divaflower_diva member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    if you are a gardener you could get low bowls-either plastic or terra cotta,and plant them up with annuals.nice bright and colorful and something the guest would be able to take home and use on theur decks/patios
  • edited December 2011
    My wedding is in Septemeber and I am using potted mums as a centerpiece. My colors are chocolate and champagne... So i bought chocolate satin and will be using it to cover the pots.. with a cream wire ribbon tied around the middle of the pot..
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_flowers_potted-flowers-centerpieces?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:28Discussion:74cd2712-0f76-4082-8208-6c2b986f244fPost:050e0f5e-c0b8-4352-ae15-ba3b6d531acb">Re: Potted Flowers as Centerpieces?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My wedding is in Septemeber and I am using potted mums as a centerpiece. My colors are chocolate and champagne... So i bought chocolate satin and will be using it to cover the pots.. with a cream wire ribbon tied around the middle of the pot..
    Posted by harley333[/QUOTE]

Chocolate and Champagne...YUM!  Your wedding sounds beautiful AND delicious!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards