Flowers
Options

Lilacs for my bouquet?

I've just started thinking about flowers. Our date is April 21, 2012 in Minnesota. Do you think it could be possible to include lilacs in my bouquet? This year, spring came a little late so most of the blossoms just started last week but usually they're blooming sometime mid-April. They could potentially be ordered in, places like Iowa bloomed earlier this year. What do you think? Would they wilt too soon? They are my favorite flower, but I won't die if I can't have them.
It happens when you're not looking.

Re: Lilacs for my bouquet?

• Options
    Magdala9Magdala9 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If the timing is right and they are local...they make for a beautiful bouquet.  A friend spent a lot of money to have them shipped from down South and they were droopy as all hell and shedding petals all evening.    The florist asked for a special waiver on the flower's condition because she strongly recommended against it; but my friend was adamant.  We now know why.  Fortunately, the lilacs were only used in her bouquet.  The other bouquets were freesia and stephanotis and ivy and looked just fine. 
  • Options
    Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I understand totally why you'd want llilacs, they are one of my favorites as well (lilly of the valley being my number 1)

It's really up to Mother Nature. I have several lilac bushes at my home, and the weather has played havoc with them the last 2 years. Previously, like clock work, they would bloom the week around Mother's Day (I live in the Detroit area, about the same weather as MN). Last year we had a mild spring, and they bloomed the third week in April, which would be perfect for your schedule...........but alas, this year, they are blooming now, a full month after last year, and about 2 weeks later than "normal" due to a cold and rainy spring. Same for my lilly of the valley.

Did you want white lilacs, or lavender/purple? The purple varieties are prevalent everywhere, white lilac bushes are rarer.

If I were you, here's what I would do: Plan on adding lilacs to your bouquet, but order standard flowers (either online if you are doing DIY, or with a florist). *IF* the weather is right and llilacs are blooming around you, or perhaps a bit south if you don't mind driving, you can get some lilacs to add to your bouquet. I'd line up family & friends who have lilac bushes and then a week or two before the wedding, find out when they think their lilac bushes will bloom (the buds are apparent for about a week or two beforehand).

For the same reasons the prior poster mentioned, I'd never order something like this from a florist............really not reliable. You have to SEE what you are getting. I ordered lilacs online for a friend who had a breast cancer scare......... when she got them, they were droopy. Lilly of the valley is the same way, which is why they are about $5 EACH online.......... yet I have about 200-300 in my yard, they all bloom pretty much at the same time, and last only about a week.

Good luck.
  • Options
    flower_divaflower_diva member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    the water consumption is a big issue with lilacs. we have used them but also require a waiver. The main thing is to have them in a handtied bokay and a vase that they can be poppped into the minute you are done with picutres.  you have about an hour out of water before the start to wilt. That means keeping a vase of water with you

.pictures done---into the water---wedding ceremony---into the water---more pictures done---into the water.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards