Flowers
Options

Billly Ball (craspedia) flowers poisonous?

Hi, hopefully somebody knows the answer to this. We wanted to put some yellow billy ball flowers (craspedia) on our cake for decoration. However, somebody mentioned that the flowers might be poisonous, and thus dangerous to put on the cake? Does anybody out there know if this is true?

Re: Billly Ball (craspedia) flowers poisonous?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    well it's poisonous to horses, I found that out, and most house pets dogs and cats so i don't know if I'd put in on the cake maybe try to find artifical ones? or even try making them with tissue paper?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I did search on the internet and found that it is poisonous to ingest. I took this to mean that it's ok to touch and stuff, and thought that maybe it would be ok if it was just placed on the cake. But I'm afraid that maybe there are like oils or something that will seep into the frosting. Maybe if we just then scoop off that frosting part when we serve the cake?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't think I'd take the chance of putting poisonous balls on your cake.
    Can you look to see if you can find artificial ones?
    NestBaby Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    mysticlmysticl member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    If it is poisonous to ingest you cannot put it on food.  This is not a risk you want to take.  I'm pretty sure your baker and florist will refuse to put them on the cake and if you insist on doing it they will make sure you sign something that says it's not their fault if a guest dies. 

Do you really want to give a guest a piece of cake you scooped the frosting off of and then explain that is where the poison used to be?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Your baker can probably make sugar billy balls. That would be a much better alternative with out any risk.
  • Options
    AbbeyS2011AbbeyS2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Go with artificial flowers to put on your cake.  No telling how many guests have allergies to pollen, certain flowers, etc.  Better to be safe than sorry!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Like others have said, stay on the side of caution.  Find either artificial, or see if they can make sugar ones.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards