Flowers
Options

classes for brides dIY-would you pay for this sevice?

I am a florist and would like your input please. I know there are many brides on tight budgets and am wondering if you would pay to take a class that would teach you the basics of making a hand tied bokay,bout,and corsage?

I feel that as an educator this is an area that has not been focused on at all, and of course with the way the economy has been,as a florist I am always looking for ways to generate income for my business.

please comment if you would

Re: classes for brides dIY-would you pay for this sevice?

• Options
    CJandMLCJandML member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    There is a place near me that charges $45 for a class. They teach you how to make bouquets, bountineres and center pieces. They let you keep the flowers too. I would pay for it. I love the idea.
  • Options
    Catwoman708Catwoman708 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes, I definitely think there is a market, and I actually have taken such a class. 

We have a flower market in our city (wholesale and retail) that offers these, and other classes.  Their class was $40 (it was 2 years ago), included a package of 15 roses, a little filler, and some ribbon and misc. supplies.  They covered a simple bout, corsage, and hand tied bouquet of a dozen roses. 

I found it somewhat helpful, but they basically just rushed through the class, skimming over the surface, not really explaining much.  I think beginners need a little more in-depth and hands on instruction.  The class was supposed to be about 2-3 hours, but was in reality only just over an hour.  I already had a lot of experience with arrangements, so I mostly just needed to see the "construction phase" of how to put the bouquets together. 

To really get in-depth takes extra time, which costs money.  So DIYers might not be willing to pay more than $50-100 for a class.  BUT, demonstration only type classes are also helpful for beginners to watch and might be a way to keep costs down.  From there they could decide if they want to take a "hands-on, flowers included" type of class.

*I attended an altar flower seminar taught by the ladies from the Washington National Cathedral.  Just watching them work and explain as they go was just amazing!  I picked up a lot tips and design inspirations.
  • Options
    emmy82087emmy82087 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    personally, i would not pay for it because i have no interest of doing the bouquets, bouts, and corsages the day before the wedding. just my personal opinion.

but for any other time, or also being a semi event planner, i would take them!!
    Mrs. Emily Wolcott June 11, 2011 :)
  • Options
    Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I understand your position in this tough market. For me, personally, I would not take such a class because I'm a pretty handy DIY-er, and if there is something I don't know how to do, I can always find it on the internet. Always.

However, having said that, it's possible in your market area that there are people that need this service.

Good luck.
  • Options
    fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would never tackle DIY flowers personally.  However, several girls on my local board are doing it or have done it.
  • Options
    kelle017kelle017 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I'm thinking about doing it.  A florist in my area offers a class in which you get the boquet, a corsage, and boutineer for around 40.  You hvae to bring some supplies, like scissors and tape  I think, but they give you the flowers.  Depending on how easy and time consuming, I would do it for the wedding.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    flower_divaflower_diva member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    thanks everyone for your input.......I am still on the fence as far as doing a class.I really think there is a large segment of brides who "think" they want to do their flowers.....this class could either be a great class for them or be the reality check for them  where they decide it is too much trouble.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards