Flowers
Options

Low floating centerpieces - bad idea?

Hi guys!  So I was really in love with the idea of doing a shallow glass bowl with floating candles and floating flowers, surrounded by votives kind of like this one (source):

I met with a florist yesterday and she pointed out that since these centerpieces would be so low, they'd be below all the wine glasses, water glasses, champagne flutes, etc, and so our guests wouldn't be able to see then until they were standing right over them.  So when you look out over the room, you wouldn't be able to see any of the centerpieces.  I hadn't even considered that, and now I'm really bummed out about it.  Have any of you been to a wedding where centerpieces like this were used?  Did it look underwhelming because they were hidden by all the glassware?

I'm cosidering buying some glass blocks like this from a hardware store and placing the bowls on them to elevate them a little more - does that seem like it might work?

Her suggestion was to do a few tall round vases with sunken orchid stems and then a candle floating on top that's about the size of the vase.  She quoted me about $75 per table for that, which seems steep to me, but she said the cost comes from having to send a crew to do the installation the day of, instead of being able to assemble the flowers in advance and just having to send one person to put them on each table.  Is that about what other people have paid?

Summary:  Have you seen weddings with low floating centerpieces, and did it look nice or underwhelming?  Do you think putting the bowl on the block to raise it up would work?  If not, we'll probably go witht the orchids sunk in the tall cylinders, but can other brides give me an idea of what they paid for that?

Thanks for all the advice!

Re: Low floating centerpieces - bad idea?

• Options
    Maria108Maria108 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think ether one works!  If they are low it is easier to see people across the table.  I think 75 is a bit high... try shopping around then bringing the lowest price to the person you like.
  • Options
    davis2cruzdavis2cruz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I think you should do what you want to do.  If you love the low pieces, I'd say do those.  My opinion is that your florist wants you to do more extravagent centerpieces, because they can charge more for those.  I prefer lower centerpieces, because I like being able to see over the table... makes it easier to communicate with the people on the other side.

• Options
    aspe85aspe85 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i think your florist is trying to get more money out of you.. Do what you love, because, come the day of, you will be comparing your centerpieces to the ones you REALLY wanted, and nothing is going to add up to what you really want. You don't want to be disappointed on your wedding day Laughing
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    plessjmplessjm member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

My BM's wedding centerpieces were shallow bowls that held orchids and floating candles. They were beautiful centerpieces. All night I thought the flowers were real but at the end of the night When she gave me a CP I found out they were fake. It was one of the nicest CP because we were able to talk to people across from us instead of having a tall CP blocking the table. Some people at weddings move the tall CP to the floor so they are able to talk heard that happening alot.

To me the florist is wanting a few extra bucks. Don't give up on yor dream! I think it sounds simple classic and very elegant.

• Options
    Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Bingo, bingo, bingo! I thought the same thing the prior posters did: Times are tough and your florist is trying to sell you something that will pay them much more than what you want.

I have not been to a wedding with this type of centerpiece, but if others have and did not have a negative thing to say above, then I'd say go for it. If you were afraid though, you could consider getting a couple of taper candle holders at the dollar store, with tapers, and give them to the florist to set up in addition to the floating bowls.

If you ask me, you are asking the florist to do things for you that you can do yourself. You can buy all the materials for much less and have someone else (caterer or venue) set them up for you. If you still want to get your bouquets etc from the florist go ahead.

Good luck. Check out the DIY board to see what others have done.
  • Options
    audradarlingaudradarling member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm so glad you asked this! I have been wondering the same thing myself and debating between the two options you have listed.  I don't want tall centerpieces, so I'm looking for other options.  I think guests will notice the bowls with floating flowers. If you add the candles like the example you showed, they will also notice the light.  The option your florist mentioned is also a good idea, but I agree with the others, it sounds too expensive! You do what you think is best and it will be beautiful! I'm really interested in what you'll pick :)
  • Options
    dawnmhaydendawnmhayden member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I couldn't agree more with everyone else-the florist wants to make some extra money off of you.  I say if you like the low centerpieces (I personally think they are beautiful) then go for them!  It's your wedding!  I also think low are better because you can see across the room.  And when people are seated they will be able to see the centerpieces just fine.
    imageAnniversary
  • Options
    slubkinslubkin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have been toying with this idea as well (no candles, though, we are having an afternoon reception).  Since our reception will be hors d'oeuvres only, people won't really be stuck at a table and they can mingle more (we wanted it to feel more like a casual party than a sit down meal). 

I think we may have some taller centerpieces, and some lower ones and alternate them on the tables.  I have heard this is some kind of new trend to add visual interest, as well, having varying heights on the tables rather than the same thing on all of them.
    "Plus who needs a purse when you have a wedding dress? Those things are like walking hobo bags just waiting to be stuffed with surprise treasures." -Wedinator.com image
  • Options
    gaharvardgaharvard member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    All the above posters are pretty much right on. I have done a few wedding receptions for friends and relatives (amateur floral decorator) and have used the low centerpieces with flowers and candles and also added votives surrounding them. It works beautifully. You can drape floral stems (like larkspur, orchids on stems, etc.) anchored in oasis covered by rock etc. to vary the look on different tables as well.

I also agree with the poster who suggested you might want to DIY. The bowls are readily available at Wal Mart.

While $75 seems a bit high, the florist does have all the materials and the time to do the setup -- doing a setup the day of for 16 tables, plus the bridal party long table and various other arrangements (guest book/place card table, beverage tables) took myself and one other person 4 hours.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I've been catering weddings for the past seven years, and let me tell you, I have seen my fair share of CP. I've had a few fall over because they were too tall, and we actually had one catch on fire before!!! 

Anyway, my point is I've seen this done so many times, and I think it is BEAUTIFUL!! Don't let your florist talk you out of something you want to do!! It makes it so much easier for the staff to serve and clear tables (don't know what kind of dinner you're having though)! And like a lot of the pp said, it makes conversation that much easier!!

The only thing with these are sometimes the candles don't stay lit all night, but it's really not that big of a deal, unless you are super picky!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011

As a florist myself, I feel bad that you've been told this. The most important thing your florist can do is listen to what YOU want from your day.

If you love the idea of doing the low bowls, do the low bowls. I have used these for several weddings I have done, and they look lovely.

High centerpieces do offer more visual impact when you enter the room, but as many people correctly point out, they can be hard to see over.

The rule I follow goes like this: Women (who are the only ones who will notice the centerpiece!) tend to sit with their elbow on the table and their head on their hand. Therefore, go sit down at a table like this and see how high, or low, the centerpiece needs to be not to infringe with your line of sight.

If you do want to do tall centerpieces to mix it up, be aware you can also do a tall vase with the floating candle and floating flowers- the same as your low centerpiece, just higher up.

Good luck!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards