Flowers

hydrangea

I am getting conflicting advise from 2 different florists.  I am having a late September wedding and I want blue hydrangea for my bouquet.  One florist (who is a friend of my SIL) says that they brown quickly and not to use them or go silk.  A florist in my home town laughed and said that is ridiculous and said as long as I keep them in water until the ceremony and put them in water at the reception they will be fine.  Does anyone have anyone have any experience with Hydrangea?

Re: hydrangea

• the florist that said they brown easily either has a very cold or very dirty cooler or a really lousy supplier... ( perhaps a little more training is in order!)

The second florist is right... in actuality Hydrangeas kept in buckets of warm water and NOT kept too cold will last for a few weeks without browning... 
    Use real ones and run from the first florist... 
    Here are MY credentials..>>>

• I am too a florist, and I did a wedding in late october last year that had dark blue hydrangea.  They lasted through a catholic service and then were used as table decor when they transfered to the reception without water in  between.  THE TRICK is to get them fresh, keep them cool until delivery and even soaking the head or spraying it with water several times (to preserve the petals).  Best of luck, it CAN be done ;)
  • We had hydrangeas in our bouquets at a friends wedding, and we just made a habit of tucking the stems back into paper towel soaked in water when we weren't using them (so before the ceremony, and then while driving in between places we took pictures at), and then at the reception put them in vases that had some water in them.  They lasted just fine!

As long as the florist does what they're suppose to with the hydrangeas leading up to when you get them (like getting them fresh and keep them cool as kmclean said), they should be fine.
  • I had hydrangeas for my Memorial weekend wedding in 90*+ heat and they lasted without any wilting.  Infact they stayed fresh looking for days after the wedding.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • FYI-there are a lot of flower shops that are run and owned by people who are not knowlegeable and are not educated. Find a florist who has some kind of certification,either national or state...or at the very least attended a certificate progam in design.....all you have to do is ask what their training is.
  • flower_diva has a good point.  A professional florist should always welcome these questions (about experience/expertise) and be prepared to answer them effectively!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_flowers_hydrangea-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:28Discussion:afc6896c-1661-4bc0-9701-cdff40f877bePost:73398037-e073-4373-8028-6ad36ae3b63a">Re: hydrangea</a>:
    [QUOTE]FYI-there are a lot of flower shops that are run and owned by people who are not knowlegeable and are not educated. Find a florist who has some kind of certification,either national or state...or at the very least attended a certificate progam in design.....all you have to do is ask what their training is.
    Posted by flower_diva[/QUOTE]

I do not agree that a florist must be educated with a certificate from a design program to be knowledgeable about what they do for a living.

I worked for a florist who has been in business for 20 years and does amazing work, many repeat customers, great reviews, and many customers recommending them to friends and family...and all this WITHOUT a certificate.  She gained her knowledge through working with highend florists prior to opening her own shop.  She is also extremely creative, innovative and imaginative when it comes to creating floral designs.

As far as picking a florist, do not just go by their credentials...just because they have a certificate doesn't mean that they are a wonderful florist or is creative in any way.  You need to talk to friends and family in your area and get recommendations...they best way to find a great florist is by looking at their work and talking with them.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards