Flowers
Options

I need major flower help!

Okay so here is the deal. I'm getting married in fall, and we had originally chosen fall colors for our wedding, but quickly decided against it because my MOH and my fiance have red hair and...well it's...just no. Haha anyways...our new colors are a dark blue, and silver and maybe slight accents of gold if it can be done right. 

I'm completely stuck on the flowers though. I don't really wanna do white flowers...because I personally don't like that...but I don't know if light blue would work, and there really aren't any dark blue flowers. so I feel like white is quickly becoming my only option. I have no clue what to do. 

Second...I'm not sure how I feel about my own bouquet. Should I have all white? Or accents of color or go all out? I'm not really a flower person...I don't know! Please help!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: I need major flower help!

• Options
    Maggie0829Maggie0829 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    So your decision on color was based on hair color?  I truly don't believe that red hair will clash with fall colors.  It's not like you are going o have them wearing wreaths of flowers on their heads or have them stand right next to the centerpieces or have your MOH hold her bouquet up by her head!  I love fall colors and since red is a fall color wouldn't their hair actually go with that color scheme?

Anyhoo...back to your question about the blues and such...there is dark blue delphinium that would work with the blue and silver color scheme.  Then of course you don't have to stick with just dark blue flowers you could always use blue hydrangeas and light blue delphinium to add some contrast.  You could do a mixture of light/dark blue and white in your bouquet and then add non-floral silver accents such as ribbon and jeweled inserts (rhinestones, etc)

IMO if you stick with the blue and silver color scheme I would leave the gold out...it may just be too much

• Options
    Hedgy22Hedgy22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I really hate wedding planning. You have to understand I'm a complete push over. 

No both my fiance and my MOH are just the right shade of red hair where anything near that color scheme makes them look very red. My MOH can only pull off a very, very dark red which isn't even in our color scheme. My fiance...just doesn't look goo in any of those. I had been going back and fourth between the blues and the fall colors until my MOH came home from college where we discussed it and we decided that she wouldn't look good in any of the fabrics we could have chosen, but the dark blue we chose actually brings out their hair color, and I love their hair so it's all cool. 

My colors are blue and silver, and the accents of could will mainly be within the bridesmaids attire. My MOH also is allergic to sliver metals, she can only wear gold or she gets a rash. I wanted to do blue and gold, but I'm not sure...I was leaning towards silver. 

I looked up those flowers and they look too light, we are having a very dark blue color...something like a dark royal blue...more like a midnight blue...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Personally....I if your bridesmaids dresses are the blue then go with the white...for yours and theirs.  I believe that would be elegant and not overbearing.  Possibly white roses?!
  • Options
    flower_divaflower_diva member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    pale yellows,butterscotch,kiwi green and deep red can all go with a dark marine blue dress AND with any shade of red hair.  a multi color bokay will blend and look better than plain white and silver.
  • Options
    Beth@TwiggiesBeth@Twiggies member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    why not green? hydrangeas, it's a neutral that goes great with navy or any shade of blue, there are all kinds of choices, cymbidium orchids with a cranberry throat, green parrot tulips, green hydrangeas, green fugi mums, excellent choice for fall~  I am an event designer, and florist, have done this palate before and it's great!  think on it... google it!!
  • Options
    lilbraks12lilbraks12 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was against doing the all white flowers also. If you're wearing a white/ivory dress I think it's so blah and expected.  I had my bouquets made to be larger, more elaborate versions of the bridesmaid's flowers.  I had bright blue dresses and thought simple blue and white flowers would be boring!  Since it was a spring wedding, I went with lots of colors in the bouquets (pretty much everything but orange).  My main floweres were lilies, but I used the blue delphiniums and they were beautiful! 

• Options
    Magdala9Magdala9 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I used DB's Marine blue.  I had two redheads, four blonds and nine brunettes.  We used bright blue hydrangeas, white calla lilies and yellow billi balls in the bouquets with yellow calla liilies and bear grass for the boutinieres.  Everyone looked great.  DH & I are both brunettes whose favorite color is blue. 

Our centerpieces added bells of Ireland and orange roses to the mix.  We had gold and ivory overlays on the table with ivory china and gold favor boxes tied with marine ribbon.   

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I have a navy blue color scheme and I'm using whites mixed with darker purples.  My bouquet will have more purple in it (I really wanted a colorful bouquet) and my bridesmaids will have kind of the opposite...more white with some purple accents.
  • Options
    Heather8505Heather8505 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm doing aqua blue and black so I was afraid my only option was white flowers too and I did not want my bouquet to be all white.  Since the bridesmaids are wearing black, they are having white callas but my bouquet will be white with pink accents.  To tie the pink in elsewhere, we are having pink flower petals on the tables with the low centerpieces and submerged white and pink callas in the high centerpieces.  Basically, just pick an accent color and use it sparingly when blue or white will not do....
    me and my two men image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards