Flowers

what to put in bottom of glass vase with crepe paper flower centerpiece?

Hi Everyone,

I've decided to do crepe paper flowers as both pew ends and centerpieces for my wedding since it's hella cheaper and can be done long beforehand.  I've got about 20 rectangular glass vases from Ikea of different heights (not super wide) and I'm going to use lots of little glass yogurt jars so there'll be at least three heights of flowers along the tables.  Only problem now is I dont know what to put in the vases below the flowers.  Obviously water is not a good idea, they're too narrow for lemons or walnuts. I think I could do hazelnuts, or jordan almonds (expensive) but any ideas would be good.  I dont want the wire below the flowers to be super visible since that's the one not-pretty part (thus most clear things are out).  For a basis of reference, our wedding will be late september, bordeaux and ivory and light green as the base colors and it's in the southwest of France in a region known for foie gras, duck, walnuts, and black truffles (waaaay too expensive).  Any ideas would be awesome!

Re: what to put in bottom of glass vase with crepe paper flower centerpiece?

• If you're looking or something affordable, glass beads in your colors would be a good option.
    **i'm a little drunk on you and high on summertime** Photobucket
  • You could also paint just  the inside of the glass containers with acrylic paint in one of your wedding colors..I just did that for a baby shower and it looks really pretty. Just wrap the ends of the wire in tissue paper or paper towel before putting them in as the wire will scratch the paint sometimes after you put them in.
  • How about beans or peas or even cheap whole coffee beans. You could put a half a bag of each in each container. I have seen vases with layered green peas and black beans with flowers in the middle. Looked pretty cool.
  • Acorns
    Gravel
    Fish tank rocks in your colors

more crepe paper

green lentils (French lentils)

I have seen all of these (in addition to beans, peas and coffee beans) used in various fashions in centerpieces. 

Happy wedding...

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards