Flowers
Options

Question for you married knotties!

Alright! So I'm newly engaged (yay!! =D) and in beginning our planning, I'm trying to decide what DIY projects I'm going to take on.

It is pretty important to me that I create my own bouquet and possibly the bridesmaids as well, but the dilemma I'm facing is: Silk or Real?

I am intrigued by the idea of using fake flowers for the obvious pros (keeps forever, can make it whenever, not the night before/day of).  However, I'm worried about finding fake flowers that look good!  I really don't mind if people know they're fake... but I want people to say "Oh my gosh! THOSE are fake?! No way!" not "Wow... nice fake flowers..." ya know? Tongue out

So, I guess my question is this: Did/Are any of you use/using fake flowers? If so, what are some good places to find nice looking fake flowers??

Any other thoughts on the fake vs. real debate are welcome! =)
And nice to meet you all ;)
BabyFruit Ticker
Anniversary
Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: Question for you married knotties!

• Options
    jagore08jagore08 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I used real flowers because I'm really not a fan of artificial.  The ones that look real are usually more expensive than real flowers.  

My friend had absolutely no flowers at her wedding or reception.  She purchased a bouquet on Etsy that was made of fabric roses, feathers, and broaches (her BM carried clutches).  I really liked it because it was beautiful but wasn't trying to be something it wasn't.

Here's her bouquet:
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think this can also depend on the kind of flowers you are looking at and how closely someone will see them. My sis used fake flowers in her bouquets and alter decorations and no one could tell because no one was looking that closely. But there were also some fake flower in centerpieces at the reception and those, which people did see closely, looked a little fake but not bad. I am personally just not using flowers in my centerpieces to save a little $$ but my bouquet will be fake flowers and honestly, I like the way it looks so I couldn't care less what someone else thinks.
    As to a site that seems to get good reviews on silk flowers, afloral.com and saveoncrafts.com both come recommended by many knotties as well as look for them on sale at your local craft store! That is the way they are cheaper, buying them at cost, as a PP said, is often as expensive as real although there is still the connivance of not wilting.
    My baby Buster. FI is jealous cause I love him more.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic >
  • Options
    fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_flowers_question-married-knotties?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:28Discussion:b7a6e195-65eb-4024-8877-9cf14d15b724Post:44d704a2-21d8-4c7d-8baf-fd663f6bc0bc">Re: Question for you married knotties!</a>:
    [QUOTE]If cost is an issue, I'd just do real flowers for the ceremony and have non-floral centerpieces for the reception.Posted by ILoveMilkDuds[/QUOTE]

This would be my suggestion also.  I do not care for silk flowers and would rather see a beautiful candle centerpiece than a fake flower one any day.

If keeping your bouquet is your concern, then of course you will need to use silk but I would also look into other bouquet alternatives like the PP suggested--feathers, jewels, brooch bouquets are all popular, beautiful alternatives.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    :sigh: so many decisions! lol.... trying not to get overwhelmed with all of them!

Thank you for all of your suggestions! Definitely lots of things to think about...
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Anniversary
    Follow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards