Flowers

Alternative to blue hydrangeas?

I am getting married on a cruise ship, which means my options are a little more limited and I can't do a price comparison on anything. I get whatever they are willing to give me.

I made a request with my wedding planner for a blue hydrangea bouquet and she told me that would have to be a special request since hydrangeas aren't always in season (I am getting married in June 2011). Does anyone have suggestions for alternatives? I just want the bouquet to be blue.

Re: Alternative to blue hydrangeas?

• Catwoman708Catwoman708 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The choices of blue flowers in general are very limited.  Hydrangeas and delphiniums are the main blue flowers that are probably the most commonly used ones.  I think the simplest thing to do would be to go with another color flower, and use blue elsewhere, like in the ribbon.

You can easily get white, yellow, or pink flowers year round, in many varieties. You can go with all of one variety/color, in something like carnations, alstromerias, roses, lilies, or gerbers. 

If you just especially like the fullness and shape of the hydrangeas, alstromeria (Peruvian lilies), and a flower called "stock" both have a cluster of small blooms on one stem.  The stock looks similar to mini hydrangeas (if you cut the pointy tips off), if you can get it. 

And freesias are very pretty, elegant. and fragrant if they are available. 

STOCK:

ALSTROMERIAS:

FREESIA:
  • WGachesWGaches member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Just so you know, june is peak hydrangea season. So if she tells you it's not, she's mistaken. I'm working on my doctorate in horticulture. So, yes - you should be able to get hydrangeas.
    *Jeremiah 29:11* SoyFreeBlog
  • loveslugloveslug member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Anemones, irises, delphinium, hyacinth, and bachelor's buttons (cornflowers) all come in blue!  Also, try asking if they can dye flowers for you...roses, for example, cn be dyed blue.
  • keeper81keeper81 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Just to let you know you can get Hydrangeas all year round. Also if you are looing for a blue flower that is really pretty. Try orchids. They can come in a electric blue with shades of purple mixed in. Not sure if your looking for a softer blue, but the florist can also purchase stock which can be sprayed light blue. The stock would hold up better than hydrangeas.

• edited December 2011
    I too had wanted blue hydrangeas for my July wedding, but the florist and some girls here advised that they would not hold up well and would quickly brown and wilt.  I ended up going with blue delphiniums and I think it will be beautiful.  Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards