Flowers
Options

daisy kissing balls

I am planning on making kissing/pomander balls (what ever you want to call them) and I need some help deciding.  I have to choose between making them out of silk flowers, tissue paper or ribbons and have no clue what I am getting myself into.  I am not worried about time because my wedding is september 2011 so have plenty of time to dim (do it myself) 

does anyone have any idea on how long each of them take to make or which ones are more cost efective

p.s. our colors are black and white

Re: daisy kissing balls

• Options
    jagore08jagore08 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The paper ones are so time consuming and mine turned out awful.  They were lopsided and you have to make a ton of the paper flowers for just one ball.

I've seen the artificial flowers done in carnations and they looked really nice.

Also, if you feel like it's too much work to make them yourself, try Etsy.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    ociefloralociefloral member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Paper flowers get crushed easily so stay away from that idea.
    Ribbon ones have the same problem staying new looking.
    silk flowers are ideal. take time to find good quality daisys that have wired stems so you can apply them to the balls easily. You won't have to worry about them looking worn or old.
  • Options
    Catwoman708Catwoman708 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011

They can be time consuming.  If you want to use fresh flowers, you might want to practice to see how long it takes to make them, how long they will last, and working out a way to store them, etc... 

But you can make them a few days in advance, you just have to keep them cool and water the Oasis foam daily. 

If you haven't done them before, I wouldn't suggest tackling it without help of a crafty friend or two.  For DIY, silk would probably be more practical, and they can be done far in advance.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I went to Michaels and bought a green foam circle and some of their silk flowers. It was very inexpensive but then again I only made one, not sure how many you have planned. I played around with it for awhile until I was happy.  It took me a few times of stopping and starting over so I would suggest staying away from paper.
  • Options
    Alexandra1976Alexandra1976 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    So....if you want them done ahaed of time tham...silk gerbera daisys or carnations are the way to go.
    If you are thinking fresh...than sugeston of doing one ahead of time to know how many flowers you would need and also you could do them two days ahead and hang them.  But dont forget to give them a drink as they must be done in oasis!
    Good luck!   Alexander( I work for a florist!) getting married 2012
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm making mine out of cupcake liners. I'm also making wreaths the same way, but I only have a picture of the wreath right now.

Planning & Married Bios

Anniversary

PAL/PGAL Welcome

My TTC Chart
    BFP #1 12/13/08 - mc 12/26/08
    BFP #2 12/2/09 - emergency surgery for ectopic 12/5/09

Photobucket Photobucket
  • Options
    CherylE418CherylE418 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i just got done making 8 pomanders out of silk gerbers from hobby lobby! the first one took me over an hour, but after i got the hang of it, i whipped them out in 15-20 minutes each!  a couple a day, and i was done!

i used a 5" foam ball and about 2.5 bunches of 12 daises (all from hobby lobby) for each one.  make your ribbon loop (i used tulle) and knot it tight, then stick a pin through the knot, and hot glue around it to make sure it's secure.  i had to iron some of my flowers because they got really scrunched from being packed tightly in the store display, but this didn't hurt them at all! spray them with a little water, and i used the "cotton" setting on my iron.  i made a circle all the way around the ball with the flowers, starting at the knot, then went the other direction, so that they coincided to make quarters.  then fill in the spaces!  easy peasy!  oh i also had to use wire cutters to cut the stems, regular scissors didn't work.

here's the finished product!  they turned out pretty large.  i think you could even make a 4" foam ball work, which would cut down how many flowers you need too!

i hope this helps!  you can send me a pm if you need more help!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    CherylE418CherylE418 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    oh and as for cost of one-
    flowers from hobby lobby (on sale 50% off)-$10 per ball
    5" foam ball (using a 40% off coupon at HL)-$2.50
    ribbon-$2 at HL, plenty for at least 15 balls
    so about $13 each is all! and i think paying more for the flowers was totally worth saving the time it takes to make tissue ones!  and i'm really pleased with how they looked too. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    deb84deb84 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am so glad you asked this question! I am making these for my September 2011 wedding too!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards