Flowers
Options

Experience/thoughts on tulips and daffodils?

I am getting married in the spring time and would love some season flowers.  My fiance and I love tulips and daffodils, and have a tradition of buying them for each other as a gift signaling the beginning of spring time.  Does anybody have experience using centerpieces or bouquets using these flowers? How did they look? And also, are these flowers better on their own or do they work well with other flowers, aesthetically? 

I am also thinking about DIY projects involving these two flowers, although am somewhat overwhelmed by the thought of taking on so much.

Re: Experience/thoughts on tulips and daffodils?

• Options
    fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I considered tulips for my centerpieces but when I did my mockup they were droopy so I nixed them.  However, this was in September--not exactly the best time for tulips probably.  My florist could not assure me they would stand upright so I didn't use them.

My inspiration:

My mockup:

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Tulips are gorgeous.  the trick is to make sure you get nice fresh ones so they will stand up.  You can tell they are fresh if the flowers are still pretty much tucked down in the leaves when you buy them.  
    Tulips continue to "grow " even after they are cut , so if the flowers are stickin way above the leaves chances are they have been sitting around for a while.  
    Also always use plain water, not flower food for them to slow the drinking process. 

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I am getting married in May and planned on large tulip centerpieces.  My florist warned me about them and I just had a mock up done of my centerpieces last week.  The tulips were fresh that morning and by mid-afternoon, they had completely fallen over (even in water).  We decided to do calla lillies instead.  Love tulips but they may not be the best option for centerpieces if you want them to stand up and last. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks! I had no idea about the droopiness factor. This is really useful.  I have seen some centerpieces where the tulips are submerged entirely in water.  Apparently, they drink a lot of water and do great that way.  I don't know if I like the aesthetics, but just putting it out there. 
  • Options
    leia1979leia1979 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    For my friend's wedding, all the bouquets were tulips. The stems are droopy, and they were a pain in the butt to work with. I had to wrap them high and tight to keep them together. We could have wired the stems, but I didn't think about it until afterwards.

The end result was pretty, but if you're doing DIY, I think there are easier flowers to work with.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I live in The Netherlands and tulips are very popular (of course;-) ). If you really want tulips and daffodils, maybe what you can do is to use them in such a way that they won't really droop. For example, here in Holland, you can buy bulbs from the florist which are planted in a very pretty way (in cute wooden boxes/baskets/birdhouses or whatever. They're usually solf half-grown-you can already see the bud). You can put a number of that and will have a gorgeous centrepiece. Alternatively, get your florist to tie your tulips higher up the stem so that they can't droop (

If you want something a little more classy (as opposed to cute/barn/garden sort weddings), see below:

• Options
    Catwoman708Catwoman708 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Tulips are very pretty, but they are pretty droopy.  I would not use them in bouquets, except as an accent flower (towards the middle).

For centerpieces, you can always get potted tulips or daffodils. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards