Flowers

What's the difference between the different types of roses?

I'm ordering roses from Sam's Club to DIY, but I'm confused which ones I should get. The pictures and reviews aren't much help. I know I want red, but beyond that I'm clueless. So does anyone know the differnece between Ecuadorian, Columbian, and Black Magic roses? The lisiting says the Black Magic roses are from Ecaudor, so are they just Ecuadorian roses, and the only difference is color? Which are the best roses for arrangements? Which is the most popular? What's your preference out of the three, if you have one?

If it matters, my colors are black and white, and the roses themselves will be the only pop of color in the decor (I'm doing submerged centerpieces).

Any and all input is welcome! TIA for your help!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: What's the difference between the different types of roses?

• Ecuadorian and Columbian have nothing to do with color...this only denotes where the flowers were grown.

Black Magic roses are an extremely dark red almost black (hence the name).

When it comes to standard (regluar) roses there really is no difference except for the color.  From my experience with roses (I used to work in a florist for 8 years) there are some that open better then others but this is sometimes hit or miss.

• ITA with Maggie above. The origination of the country has nothing to do with the type of rose.

Were you looking for a specific type of rose? For my wedding I ordered white Vendella (sp?) roses from Costco which opened over several days and were quite "full", but not large if you get my drift.

If you have specific questions regarding the type of roses Sam's Club sells, I'd call and ask..........or see if your local Sam's Club has a flower kiosk that sells red roses and ask the local florist what types they are.
  • I'm not looking for anything in particular, just basic red roses, but besides like the Black Magic and Black Baccara (sp?), they don't list anything other than Columbian or Equadorian. The prices are all different, too. So yeah, I'm pretty confused. But I guess I can assume that if they don't specify the type (such as Black Magic, etc) that they are just regular roses. Thanks!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • There are hundreds of varieties of red rose....you will probably be sent all one variety but it sounds like you won't have a choice of variety.   I think they sort out the black bacarra and black majic just because they are so dark in color.
    "Freedom "rose are one of the standard red roses that most florists use charlotte's are another.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards