Flowers
Options

live plants?

So this might sound a little strange to some of you... please don't judge. This is the man I love.
My fiancé is not a huge fan of cut flowers... he says he doesn't like watching them die. They're beautiful for sure, but he just doesn't like knowing they were grown only to be cut and will soon die. He loves plants, though. Loves potted things that keep growing and all that. I know, it might sound weird without more explanation, but it's one of the unique things that I love him for.
I'll definitely have *some* cut flowers at our wedding. I like them, and I like to dry them and save them, so there will be some. But I'm just wondering if any of you have any ideas for incorporating live plants (that won't totally break the bank), like trees, vines or potted plants. I know it would make him more comfortable to be surrounded by living plants.
Appreciate any input!

Re: live plants?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_flowers_live-plants?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:28Discussion:e3f403b0-a5a8-4f2d-8725-b81e48355af5Post:32eb3418-0aa1-4d09-a24c-c6fb10c99a8b">live plants?</a>:
    [QUOTE]So this might sound a little strange to some of you... please don't judge. This is the man I love. My fiancé is not a huge fan of cut flowers... he says he doesn't like watching them die. They're beautiful for sure, but he just doesn't like knowing they were grown only to be cut and will soon die. He loves plants, though. Loves potted things that keep growing and all that. I know, it might sound weird without more explanation, but it's one of the unique things that I love him for. I'll definitely have *some* cut flowers at our wedding. I like them, and I like to dry them and save them, so there will be some. But I'm just wondering if any of you have any ideas for incorporating live plants (that won't totally break the bank), like trees, vines or potted plants. I know it would make him more comfortable to be surrounded by living plants. Appreciate any input!
    Posted by kdhmann[/QUOTE]

This is the first time I've heard of a moral objection to cut flowers. 

You could do flowering potted plants and candles for centerpieces and use potted trees around the reception area.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think it's sweet=) ... and we're using live plants as a money saver!

As our centerpieces, we don't want to spend a fortune on cut flower bouquets for 15+ tables. Instead, we bought "aquatic vases" from Hobby Lobby at $2 a piece. We also bought Easter grass in purple (my main color) when it was on clearance... although this idea would also work with tinsel or "stuffing" that you can buy to use in gift wrapping. We are getting lots of wave petunias from the garden department  (roughly $1 a piece at your local garden dept of home improvement store). We are putting the plants into clear plastic baggies, fully watered, placing them in the bottom of the aquatic vases, and filling in the bottom with the Easter grass to hide the dirt. We've done four run throughs, and the flowers have lasted 5+ days in the plastic baggies within the vases before looking ugly.

Around the flower vases, you can put whatever works for your wedding to spruce up the centerpiece... we're putting framed black and white pictures that my fiance and I took of different Chicago landmarks (we're doing a NON CHEESY Chicago themed wedding, since it is where most of our "big moments" have taken place). We're also alternating votives in between each frame. 

Finally, we're decorating our aisle (outdoor ceremony at a horticultural center garden) with potted plants that my mom and I are planting ourselves. We're giving away the plants when we return from the honeymoon to the people who meant the most to us at the wedding... aka immediate family and WP.

Using potted plants can be very budget friendly, so good luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You can do some nice potted flowers as a centerpieces. 
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    A simple potted Orchid surrounded with candles makes a beautiful centerpiece.  Our floral arrangements will have succulents included in them which can be re-planted afterwards.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards