Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions

HELP! i have genres/guidelines...any song ideas???

I'm trying to get an early start on searching for the perfect first dance song. We don't really have an "our song," so the search is pretty much wide open. I have very diverse tastes in music so there's several genres I'm considering. I was just wondering if anyone has ANY IDEAS based on the info below. Any thoughts would be soooo appreciated!!! What I'm looking for: -something we can slow dance to -something very romantic. -nothing sarcastic/funny. i'm pretty traditional and want a slow, romantic first dance. -although i'm traditional, i like to be unique. nothing too cliche. Genres/Songs I'm considering: 1. Jazz/Classics I absolutely love the classics like "At Last" by Etta James or "Can't Help Falling in Love" by Elvis. HOWEVER, I want something more unique. I'm strongly considering "When I Fall in Love" by Nat King Cole--still common maybe, but I truly love this song and it's special to me. Something by Billie Holliday, Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra, Al Green, Louis Armstrong, etc. would also be great. Any suggestions from this genre? By these artists or similar artists? 2. SingerSongwriter/Acoustic/Contemporary This is a very broad category, so I'll just give examples: not fire not ice -ben harper more than anyone -gavin degraw the luckiest -ben folds that's how strong my love is -otis redding someone like you -van morrison love that will never grow old -emmy lou harris baby now that i found you -alison krouss this year's love -david gray (LOVE this song, music is so romantic, but not planning to use it bc the words dont seem fitting to me for a wedding...) I know category #2 is broad but hopefully it sparked some ideas of similar artists/songs. Thanks SOOOO much for any ideas!!! There's so much great music out there that I've never even heard!

Re: HELP! i have genres/guidelines...any song ideas???

• edited December 2011
    Our first dance song is "The very thought of you" by Frank Sinatra. It has that whole ballroom, Cinderella and her Prince feel. I LOVE IT!!! We also both are HUGE FRANK FANS!
  • jnu1117jnu1117 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    How about Forever or By Your Side by Ben Harper. I also LOVE One Friend by Keb Mo but it is a little on the slow side.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    How about a duet by Mariah Carey and Brian McKnight called Whenever You Call. It is so romantic, and when fiance and I listen to it, it gave us chills and wicked goosebumps. Even when I listen to it still I get misty, because the visual it paints is so powerful, looking into the eyes of the one I love. Listen to it, you will see what I am talking about GL hunting. Guarantee your guests will have wet eyes.
  • cutieliz70056cutieliz70056 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    "wild horses" by The Sundays is a good one.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards