Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions
Options

Mariachi

My fiance is Mexican and I am white. I thought it would be fun to have a mariachi at our wedding for an hour or so during the reception. He thinks that my fmaily will be bored with it since none of us will understand it. I was under the impression that we would be able to dance to it but he says that it isn't really dancing music. I don't want to have them there during cocktail hour because we won't be there to enjoy it and I feel like it isn't really dinner music. Any thoughts on the subject? Are there and Mexican bands that will play for an hour and have music that we can dance to?
Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Mariachi

• Options
    tpender13tpender13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree w/your FI -- it's not really dancing music, and it could make some people decide to leave early. I think during the cocktail hour and/or dinner would be better.

I used to DJ weddings, and there were a few I did that also had a mariachi before the dance, and it worked out great. Why wouldn't you be able to enjoy it if they performed during the cocktail hour?

I would suggest asking about mariachis on your local board. Look under "Local Wedding Boards" in the blue column on the left of this page. Otherwise, just start reaching out to some bands and ask them if they can provide what you're looking for.
  • Options
    DJRobOneDJRobOne member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Mariachi are perfect for cocktail hour or dinner. If you have ever been to mexico or gone to an authentic mexican restaurant the mariachi band just kind of roams the room and plays at tables for tips. The music is not meant to dance to. its meant to DRINK to. I dont know how many times I have gotten drunk to a mariachi band in mexico.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My Fiancé is also Mexican and we are looking at incorporating the Mariachis with the rehearsal dinner. This way we can enjoy the music, and it's not too obnoxious for others who don't understand the culture.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards